Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 10:37pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Beano (Read 12424 times)
rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Beano
May 3rd, 2004, 6:39pm

PS Only kidding about firing ya Plugwash me Beano pal

RR
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 11:03pm by supersparky »  

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Beano
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004, 6:52pm

Nothing wrong with the Beano, or the Dandy for that matter.
My uncle left school at 15 only able to read both comics with difficulty but put him on site & he would lay 1000 bricks a day with ease. He taught his son & now they built bespoke houses between them. Damned  good quality ones too. I wonder if he called any of his pets Biffo?
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 11:04pm by supersparky »  

IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Beano
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004, 9:27am

Twas a GREAT era for me 2 Beano and Eagle comics there wre wonderful and the Bash Street Gand were the best.

This is why I am now an electrician and not the brain surgeon I was originally destined to be!!

RR

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Beano
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004, 9:42am

me and three of my brother used to go to my
grandads for dinner cos he lived close to the school

he used to buy us comics to read we used to get

the beano  dandy eagle beezer and the one
for the clever kids  was it look and learn
or something like that

there was a total of about seven
lucky kids Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

coggy
Beano
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004, 10:23am

The Beano was the one for me.  Dandy was ok but Beano was the dogs hudders Grin Wink
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Beano
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2004, 1:02pm

Mum used to buy me every comic in the shop, most of which no longer exist.

I was a spoilt brat. Still, I'm gonna make good one day.

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2004, 11:05pm by supersparky »  

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Beano
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2004, 1:14pm

I used to have the Sun & the Comet until they suddenly stopped publishing part way through stories.
I never did find out if Jetace Logan saved the Earth.
I read the Eagle but it was my dads comic. He used to cut the exploded drawings out of the middle & let me read Luck of the Legion in the half of the page that was left. The idiot. Didn't he know how much a full set of The Eagle from day 1 would be worth. I never threw a single comic away but carefully stacked them in order. I later found out that my mum used to pull a handfull from the bottom to throw away regularly. I had the full set of Eagle Annuals too but they disappeared from here when one of my sons was mid teens & wanted some money. I never did find out how much he got for my beloved Eagles. Sad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Beano
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2004, 4:30pm

When I started to get interested in Electronics my Dad bought me a copy of Practical Wireless. There was a project for a metal detector in there which I wanted to build. So Dad took me down to the local electronics store (which weren't popular in about 1970!) where we bought the components - transistors, resistors, capacitors, etc.

However the one thing he didn't buy was a piece of circuit board. He showed me how to wire the circuit together by banging some copper pins into a wooden block, and soldering the components onto the pins. Very heath-robinson, but it worked!

From that day forward I bought Practical Wireless every month and had a complete set covering several years. Eventually threw them all away.

Those pre-integrated circuit days might have made those PW's slightly valuable today!

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Beano
Reply #8 - May 4th, 2004, 5:50pm

Thats how it nowadays aint it Andrew? A piece of wood with a few nails banged into it - "There you are Ma'am your new Consumer Unit is ready" LOL

In the downstairs bog here I have a framed copy of Beano Number 1.

Wireless World was a great mag, I used to be an unofficial Ham (otherwise known as a 'Pirate'). 200 watts on home brewed 80 metres transmitter using 807 valves. The Post Office, as it then was, tried to catch me out with the triple detection system but my old receiver (RCA AR33) used to pick up their IF and I shut down and quickly they never did catch me and the locals never did discover who was messing up their TV pictures (RFI).

Ray Wabbit
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Beano
Reply #9 - May 4th, 2004, 6:05pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1083605908/0#9 date=1083689454]they never did catch me and the locals never did discover who was messing up their TV pictures (RFI) [/quote]

I hated buggers like you!

20 odd years ago a guy 2 doors away fitted a CB radio system in his car that could talk to the far side of Mars. Broke up our picture something chronic. Caught him sitting in his car one day, confronted him, no more problems.

Then a young lad who lived behind us had some sort of radio rig. Similar TV problem. Went out the back and there was a 50 foot aerial stuck up alongside their house. Knocked on door, received the "not us guv", and problem went away.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Beano
Reply #10 - May 4th, 2004, 6:24pm

Creeps! wud not have stopped me buggering up ya TV Andrew lol

I had a soddin great big Rhombus attenae system, could not miss the damn thing, but they did.

Again congrats for hitting the 500 mark (I am sure ya just copy and paste the same postings)

Ray Wabbit

(trying to catch you up)
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Beano
Reply #11 - May 4th, 2004, 6:52pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1083605908/0#11 date=1083691460](trying to catch you up) [/quote]

Tsk. Posting messages for messages sake. What becomes of you? Wink

SuperSparky is gonna need an extra hard disk before long..... Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Beano
Reply #12 - May 4th, 2004, 6:54pm

lol, we are using under 2% of system reasources right now!

ss
Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Beano
Reply #13 - May 4th, 2004, 6:59pm

For Heavens sake SS dont tell him that he sees that sort of thing as a challenge (right I'll show em get the resources up to 99%)

RR
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Beano
Reply #14 - May 4th, 2004, 10:25pm

My house was more like Jodrel Bank with all its CB antennas. Up to 6 at a time plus others for the car.
The next door neighbour complained to me about every TV problem. One night at 12.30 when ITV was off the air. He wouldn't accept that we all had the same problem but blamed me for blacking out every TV for 2 miles radius. He never said a thing when ITV appologised for the loss of picture. His wife accused me of messing their picture up with the CB while I was mowing the lawn. He didn't realise there was a teenager across the road with an antenna in the loft & a 25watt linear 2 guys the other side of him, one with a CB & the other with an AM AA transceiver that interferred every time he drove past. The police & fire service do the same yet it was always me who got blamed. I did everything by the book to help him including giving him the address & number of the radio interferance people. It turned out he had corrosion in the antenna & coax plus was using a preamp to increase the gain. He was doing it to himself.
At least that 400 watt linear warms the house up in winter. Wink
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Re: Beano
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2004, 6:27pm

lol Dewy - tiz GREAT stuff!! Its when ya start opening remote controlled garage doors that the fun really starts!

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Re: Beano
Reply #16 - May 7th, 2004, 1:39am

I used to get the Beano, Dandy and the Valiant when I was a kid. Loved Korky the cat, Bash street kids, and Lord snooty. Desperate Dan was good too with his cow pie. Only really liked Captain Hurrican Higgins in the Valiant though. Them were the days when men were men boys would be boys and sheep were afraid. Grin Never did have a CB rig but had a model aeroplane shot down by one Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print