Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 9:44pm
Quote: 82.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Network problems? (Read 6282 times)
billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Network problems?
Oct 25th, 2004, 4:05pm

OK, is it possible to connect a USB broadband modem to an RJ45 router? I thought i had it licked with an RJ45-USB converter and a female-female USB adapter but no. I am thinking now that i'll need to get a regular broadband modem(RJ45) for use with a router. Anyone found a way to use a USB modem and router combination?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Re: Network problems?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2004, 5:50pm

Em, I have a Motorola SB4200 surfboard cable modem connected to an Ethernet 10/100 card.

Then I added a Linksys wireless-G broadband router and connected the surfboard through the router.

Works very well on all three computers, it also seems a lot faster.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2004, 5:55pm

is that modem USB scruff? I can only find ways to connect RJ45(phone type) connections to the router and modem?
at the moment I am running 2 ethernet cards via crossover cable linking the PCs one has the internet connection + USB broadband modem, but i'm wanting to go the router um route because of the ip address stuff you can do with it.  I only have the two PC's atm and if it comes to it i could always ask BT for a static IP(or whoever i decide to go to next)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2004, 6:31pm

Its the standard modem plug.

Cable comes in from the street, goes upto the loft and down the other side to my office, connects to the surfboard modem, from there it goes to the Belkin Surgemaster and out again to the Wireless router, from the router I can hard wire up to 4 computers.

In my case I have 2 hard wired and the laptop on wireless which enables me to use the laptop for on the move.

Points of note; I was advised to use the wireless-G against the B.

If you have 2 ethernet cards you can only use then one or the other as they have to be setup, therefore to switch cards you have to power down the modem swap the card or computer connections and power the modem back on.

scruff

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2004, 6:59pm

routers that can work with usb adsl modems are very rare

most people using adsl with a router use a router with built in adsl modem and this is usually the least hassle way to go

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2004, 7:04pm

I agree with plug......I sent a customer to buy a router (assuming she would get one with modem built in).  She came back with out one, but had ordered one with out a modem, as she didn't want to have her 'free' modem 'go to waste'.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2004, 7:40am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1098716744/0#0 date=1098716744]OK, is it possible to connect a USB broadband modem to an RJ45 router? I thought i had it licked with an RJ45-USB converter and a female-female USB adapter but no. I am thinking now that i'll need to get a regular broadband modem(RJ45) for use with a router. Anyone found a way to use a USB modem and router combination? [/quote]

Ok, here the answer from my computer literate brother...

You can't directly connect a USB modem to a Router via RJ45.  The router will not know what the modem is, and so will ignore it.  If you think about it - you must load drivers into the PC to get the modem to work, but you cannot load the drivers into the router!!...

The options available are to either
1)  Purchase a router with a built in modem for approx £60 / £70.
2.)  Purchase a router which supports USB ADSL modems.  These are now being rapidly phased out, so I strongly suggest option 1
3.)  Install the modem into a PC and then install and internet sharing application.  The PC hosting the modem must then be left switched on..

Hope this is of help Smiley

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2004, 8:40am

Option 3 is how I am running at the moment. I think I will buy a router/modem combined for the easy setup, can these routers handle port forwarding etc?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2004, 11:40am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1098716744/0#7 date=1098776437]Option 3 is how I am running at the moment. I think I will buy a router/modem combined for the easy setup, can these routers handle port forwarding etc? [/quote]

Depends on the model, but the qualified answer is yes, no problem - but check the specs.

I have cable broadband here and my Netgear FVS318 does the biz for me. It's got more options on its control panel than I'll ever need.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2004, 12:12pm

lectrician,

The PC hosting the modem must then be left switched on..

mine works without the host being switched on, and don't ask how because it's still new tome.

Can use any of the 3 computers singly or all together, can even have 3 different channels at the same time, perhaps you noticed the font changes from time to time, thats because I use the nearest comp at the time.

scruff

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2004, 1:57pm

you're using a router scruff so you dont need to leave the PC on. I'm using an ICS connection which is basically one computer(HOST) has the modem plugged in to it and the other computer(CLIENT) connects with a cable to the HOST, so if i dont turn on the host pc(mine anyway) then i cant get online from the client PC(missthekids) ICS is just software that routes the correct website etc to the correct computer, but it is very limited in that if i try to send or receive a file direct to someone else it cant understand where its coming from in the DCC protocol, since both PC's are using the same IP addy. it just sends to the HOST, but if itsd supposed to go to the client it gets stopped, or doesnt connect in the first place.(this could also be my firewall but i dont think it is since the home network is on the allowed list.) v complicated for me to understand.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2004, 1:59pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkster
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2004, 10:36pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1098716744/0#4 date=1098727196]routers that can work with usb adsl modems are very rare [/quote]
Vigor 2200USB was one of (or the?) the first - would take the usual BT frog/skate modem and worked fine. But they are no longer made and are as rare as plugwash makes out. They turn up on ebay though. I still have mine but upgraded to one with a built-in modem (and wi-fi) as soon as they made them!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print