Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 10:09am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
HM (Read 13480 times)
billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

HM
Oct 28th, 2004, 10:16pm

What program do you use for your .gifs HandyMac? Where can I get it?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: HM
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2004, 10:26pm

PaintShop Pro - http://www.jasc.com

Comes with Animation Shop which does GIF's which move Smiley

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004, 10:30pm

nice one cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2004, 10:31pm

Or if you are talking about banners (like the one on my sig line for example) then WebStyle 4 from Xara is your man:

http://www.xara.com/

Xara do some killer apps, highly recommended.

WebStyle can do you a fully customised web site too just by clicking on a few buttons. I'm only just getting to know that myself, haven't launched a web site with it yet.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2004, 11:31pm

I've got paint shop pro and animation shop but cant get my head round them. ??? Cry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2004, 3:49pm

PSP 7 must be one of the best and easiest programs ever.

scruff 8)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2004, 4:00pm

well I got PSP8 and Animation Shop 3. Still early days but so far I'm well chuffed with the effects it can do, especially the underwater one, looks good so far, when I get my head round it it'll be better, i really should read helpfiles on software before i slate it

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2004, 5:21pm

I got paint shop pro 7 and animation shop 3 with a graphics tablet and pen from QVC.
Their delivery is worse than SF, the box was left propped against the front door (no porch) during a heavy rain storm.
I installed the software but the tablet and pen wouldn't work so were returned but the paint shop programs stayed on the PC. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2004, 6:13pm

PSP is a very powerful graphics program - I use it for all my image manipulation stuff like changing bmp's to gif's and the like. I takes some getting used to, and I'm still on the starting grid compared with others.

In the hands of a graphics artist who has the gift it can do wondrous things - I bought a "teach yourself in 24 hours" book on PSP 7 a while back. Dived in to run thru some examples like fading left to right and blending etc. Absolutely brill!

However, if you want a fill-in-the-blanks type of program to produce icons, banners, buttons, web pages and the like then Xara WebStyle is the bees leg joints. You don't have to know how to manipulate graphics - you just choose options from menu's, enter the text you want and you've suddenly got an extra uncle called Robert.

And XaraX (another program from Xara) is incredibly powerful - way, way, way too powerful for me, though I've had a copy for several years. It takes over where PSP gives up IMHO. Well worth taking a gander at some examples on the Xara web site just to get impressed.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2004, 3:22pm

gif is an obsolete format anyway

for cartoon like or text heavy or digramatic material use PNG

for photos or photo like materials use jpeg

also try to avoid 24 bit color pngs if you need that kind of color depth it probably means you should be using jpeg

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2004, 4:19pm

gif is an obsolete format anyway

You need gifs for animation m8  ???

use jpeg for most quality pictures and posting, but if you want to set them a a screen saver etc you have to convert them to bitnap.

PNG is no better than jpeg just another type of file, for mass posting yEnc is best.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #11 - Oct 30th, 2004, 4:30pm

I dunno where the idea that GIF is an obsolete format comes from. For sure it's a bit antiquated in terms of its technical specification (max 256 colours for example), but the last time I looked it was breeding very well. Since the Unisys patent timed out last year there's no royalty fees required to use it.

PNG is okay - but is NOT supported on all browsers. You take your chances putting a PNG on a web site that some of your customers might not see the content of the web page.

JPG is good for photo's, but is a "lossy" type. Each time you save the image to disk you lose a few more pixels because of the way the compression algorithm works internally - it doesn't save every bit of information. After a while it becomes noticably ragged. You don't get that problem with GIF.

When putting images on a web site it's always a good idea to compare the physical sizes on the hard disk, and choose the one which has the smallest footprint. Sometimes GIF wins, other times JPG. I don't think PNG is particularly brilliant in terms of compression (but I could be wrong about that - I don't use PNG).

Check out the following web page for further information:

http://www.siriusweb.com/tutorials/gifvsjpg/

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2004, 6:27pm

[quote author=thescruff  link=1098998202/0#10 date=1099149571]
You need gifs for animation m8  ???
[/quote]
sorry forgot about that im kinda against animations on the web anyway

there is MNG but i don't think it is widely supported

[quote author=thescruff  link=1098998202/0#10 date=1099149571]
PNG is no better than jpeg just another type of file
[/quote]
jpeg and png are different tools for different jobs
for images with hard edges and small color counts (ie diagrams) png is better. for images with large color counts and little in the way of hard edges (ie photos) jpeg is the better choice at least for powsting online (for archival png is better because its lossless)

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #13 - Oct 30th, 2004, 6:44pm

It's also worth bearing in mind that the anti-virus companies have recognised that JPG's can be used to introduce viruses in computers:

http://www.f-secure.com/news/items/news_2004100500.shtml

I'm not entirely convinced with this, but given that the AV companies are promoting the idea that it is a possible backdoor I don't think it should be ignored.

GIF's anyone? Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2004, 6:48pm

The simplest way to introduce a virus making it appear to be a pic is to give it a name
MeNude.jpg.................................exe
People dont see the exe just the .jpg followed by dots.

That method has been used a lot to steal passwords and identities because the exe is a trojan that send all your info to the trojans originator.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2004, 6:50pm by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2004, 6:59pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1098998202/0#11 date=1099150207]I dunno where the idea that GIF is an obsolete format comes from. For sure it's a bit antiquated in terms of its technical specification (max 256 colours for example), but the last time I looked it was breeding very well. Since the Unisys patent timed out last year there's no royalty fees required to use it.

PNG is okay - but is NOT supported on all browsers. You take your chances putting a PNG on a web site that some of your customers might not see the content of the web page.
[/quote]
the compression algorithm used in GIF is antiquated and PNG (at the same color depth) gives much smaller files

I strongly suspect that the vast majority of machiens old enough to have such a browser and online haven been junked or reformatted by now due to an infestation of viruses and spyware.if they haven't updated thier browser since the days when you could take a virgin windows install online and not get infected do you think there is much chance they have a firewall or up to date patches. and in all stats i have seen in recent times the number of people running 4.x browsers let alone anything older is vanishingly small

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1098998202/0#11 date=1099150207]
JPG is good for photo's, but is a "lossy" type. Each time you save the image to disk you lose a few more pixels because of the way the compression algorithm works internally - it doesn't save every bit of information. After a while it becomes noticably ragged. You don't get that problem with GIF.
[/quote]
true i was talking about formats for images on the web PNG is generally the best choice for archival

When putting images on a web site it's always a good idea to compare the physical sizes on the hard disk, and choose the one which has the smallest footprint. Sometimes GIF wins, other times JPG. I don't think PNG is particularly brilliant in terms of compression (but I could be wrong about that - I don't use PNG).
[/quote]
this may be the case on some types of mixed images but in most cases you can tell which is more appropriate from the type of image you are working with

Check out the following web page for further information:

http://www.siriusweb.com/tutorials/gifvsjpg/
[/quote]
ok i started to read it (and was sorely dissapointed rather fast)
firstly there are no standards for the meanings of jpeg quality figures (in applications) and they are definately not percentages

secondly he didn't seem to have heared of optimised pallettes (see the first gif example)

thirdly looking at his patterened example gif we once again see what loooks like dithering. This is almost certainly caused by the use of a non-optimised pallette which is probablly bloating the filesize of the gif (he doesn't provide the source images either which makes suck details impossible to check)

for photorealistic images (whether from photo source or otherwise) he is correct that jpeg will win by far

now where does PNG fit into all this? well PNG provided three things to the web designer

1: freedom from the gif patent issues (no longer an issue but it was one of the main reasons for its introduction)
2: better compression than gif for a file with the same parameters (unfortunately a lot of people made 24 bit pngs when 256 color or even 16 color would have been fine and then complained about filesize bloat)
3: lossless compression of 24 bit images. Theese can be usefull in some situations on the web although they should be used with care and only where neither JPEG nor a lower color depth of lossless image (PNG or GIF) is usable

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2004, 7:03pm

Oh dear, I spy browser wars Mk IIIIII coming up Wink

All points noted. But in the web development community although PNG is recognised it still hasn't achieved dominant status. GIF will be around for a while yet.

IMHO of course Smiley

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2004, 7:19pm

btw i used gif2png
http://web.archive.org/web/20021208165521/http://exe2bin.com/gif2png-win32/gif2p...
on handymaclogo.gif and it reduced it from 11k to 10.7k
not as good a result as i normally see possiblly because of the heavy patterning (on simple images i've often seen a 50% reduction) but still an improvement

the other reason i always use png is because i use a copy of paint shop pro 4 that i got free on a mgazine cover CD which (due to patent issues) doesn't have gif support

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2004, 7:21pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1098998202/15#17 date=1099160381]the other reason i always use png is because i use a copy of paint shop pro 4 that i got free on a mgazine cover CD which (due to patent issues) doesn't have gif support [/quote]

You cheapskate you! Wink

I know I started out with PSP 3, but have upgraded each version since. Though I noticed from their web site that v9 is out - I'm still on v8 and staying there for the time being.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2004, 7:56pm

truth is im not too fond of PSP because it feathers the edges when using the brush tool which tends to cause problems when reducing the image to 16 color

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2004, 10:38pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1098998202/15#19 date=1099162603]truth is im not too fond of PSP because it feathers the edges when using the brush tool which tends to cause problems when reducing the image to 16 color [/quote]

That's quite possibly due to the version you've got.

I know in later versions you get to be able to specify how much feathering you want - including none at all.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print