Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 4:50pm
Quote: One step beyond.....

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Air in radiators - why? (Read 3231 times)
HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Air in radiators - why?
Dec 9th, 2004, 6:44pm

Got a problem with our CH system. There's loads of air getting into the system such that the upstairs radiators need to be bled every other week. Now I can't find any sign of a leak anywhere so I don't think it's a leak. There is inhibitor in the system - it was put in at the beginning of the year when the one of the valves was replaced (had a problem where no hot water but CH worked which led to the valve being replaced and the system being flushed). Since the replacement of the valve nothing has been done to the system, not even turning it off, and it worked without problems immeidately after.

Any ideas? Even if it is obviously a leak, just let me know and I'll look harder for it.

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Air in radiators - why?
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2004, 10:02pm

Might be worth adding an auto-bleed valve to the water circuit. Typical place is on the pipe feeding into the HW cylinder in the airing cupboard, which is a high point.

That way as water makes its way around the heating circuit (carrying air) the auto-bleed valve can evacuate the air automatically and hopefully keep it out of the radiators.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2004, 10:07pm

But that doesn't solve the probem HM.

Suspect the system is out of balance, blocked cold feed, valve fitted wrong, pump on the wrong setting.

more info on type of system required.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2004, 10:08pm

Actually I know it doesn't fix the problem. But started writing my answer before engaging brain.... Smiley

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2004, 7:11pm

[quote author=thescruff  link=1102617868/0#2 date=1102630057]Suspect the system is out of balance, [/quote]

Nope, no rad valve has been touched in three years

Quote:
blocked cold feed,

possibly, but once bled the system fills again so there is water getting into the system from the cold water tank.

Quote:
valve fitted wrong,

Possibly, but it was working properly immediately after it was replaced at the begining of the year.

Quote:
pump on the wrong setting.

Possibly since the motor might have been fiddled with when the valve was changed, but the system had no bleeding problem (sorry about the swearing!  Wink) immediately after the valve replacement and none till 2 months ago.

Quote:
more info on type of system required.

It's a condensing boiler feeding the CH system. Not a combi boiler since the hot water is stored in a hot water tank. No TRVs on the rads. The pump's setting is set to 2. Pump is a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50. Anything else you need to know, let me know.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Solved
Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2004, 9:43pm

Worked it out. Was painting the rad in the bathroom, as you do, so I turned it off when I noticed that the base of the valve was a bit damp and there was some discolouration. It seems that it's leaking when hot and you don't see any patches because it all evaporates with the heat.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print