Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:31pm
Quote: There is no sense in being pessimistic. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old fashioned wiring (Read 5084 times)
livewire

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Old fashioned wiring
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:47pm

i have a light on my upstairs landing that can be switched on and off from downstairs and upstairs.
In the upstairs switch (which is very old) the wires leading in to it from downstairs contain a white wire, whilst the wiring leading from the light bulb into the switch are the normal red, black etc. Can anyone tell me what the white wire is? I want to replace the old switch with a more modern one but am stumped am my electrician has gone AWOL for Christmas.

thanks

Karen

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: Old fashioned wiring
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2004, 10:52pm

as long as you note the terminals on the new switch to old your fine

where are you based?(just incase you get stuck somone on here might be your next door neibour!!)

white sounds like 1960's or 70's, a good idea to have it checked and maybe rewired on other grounds(like no earth wire- they dident see the need to put em in in the good old days...this means the switch you have cant be metal if thats the case)

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

livewire

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2004, 11:06pm

thanks. I live in Gloucester.

Unfortunately i removed the old switch and couldn't work out how the layout corresponded to a modern switch so reifitted the old one. However now, none of the lights in the house work or any of the plug sockets downstairs.

The sparky has just fitted a new consumer unit and is currently tanning on a beach somewhere and no one seems interested in coming to look at a small wiring job.

I know it was a stupid girly thing to do, but i just can't find any info in any of my books on this weird type of wiring.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2004, 11:16pm

hmmm

has something tripped in the consumers unit?

sockets not working is a little worrying when its only a lightswitch  ???

any chance of a piccy?

i would suggest that
white to com
red to L1
blue to L2

if those colours are present
its an old wiring code, but, not being a regulation, i cant guarentee you thats how its been done(even if it was i couldent)

ss

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2004, 7:10pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1103150836/0#1 date=1103151166]as long as you note the terminals on the new switch to old your fine [/quote]

I beg to differ. My understanding of the BS7671 wiring regs suggests that if you make any changes to an existing circuit then you are supposed to bring that entire circuit up to BS7671 standards, and clearly this particular circuit is not up to the required standard.

Changing a switch on a circuit surely constitutes a change to that circuit?

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2004, 7:53pm

A white is usually the 'yellow' of a 3 core PVC cable, these cables did't contain an earth  Embarrassed

I would think the RCD has trippen in the CU.  Your spark has got the lights on the RCD side for some reason. (possible the RCD covers the lot ???)

Some RCD's, when tripped, only drop the switch half way.  You need to pull the trip right down to 'OFF', and then push it back up to the 'ON'.

Sounds like you should get your spark to undertake a PIR on your property, and if he has changed the CU, he will know the state of your wiring (you would hope), and should have already recommended one.

Martin.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2004, 8:33pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1103150836/0#4 date=1103224213]

I beg to differ. My understanding of the BS7671 wiring regs suggests that if you make any changes to an existing circuit then you are supposed to bring that entire circuit up to BS7671 standards, and clearly this particular circuit is not up to the required standard.

Changing a switch on a circuit surely constitutes a change to that circuit?

HM
[/quote]

its diy hm

and

were trying to get her lights back on not advise her on rewiring her 2 way switching setup.

if your called out at 12am to somones house cos they have no lights your not going to stand there for the rest of the day rewiring it Wink
it would be a note on the cert- if issued

and like i say, its diy

and yep lec, your right, found some of the stuff today, had an earth though, most dosn't, but ya cant tell, better to cover it than have "well i connected to bare wire to L1 like you told me to and when i turned the switch on...."

ss
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:35pm by supersparky »  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2004, 9:51pm

I stand corrected Smiley

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2004, 10:06pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1103150836/0#4 date=1103224213]Changing a switch on a circuit surely constitutes a change to that circuit? [/quote]

Not in my view. The new Part P regs allow the change of a switch and considers it a minor change. So if it's minor its not a change big enough to require a total re-wire.

Now, if there was no earth an the new switch required it then a re-wire (or some other solution) would be necessary to supply it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print