Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 9:42pm
Quote: I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Com1 Port (Read 2466 times)
Beanzy
GDPR opt-out

Com1 Port
Dec 19th, 2004, 10:57am

I'm trying to kick my XP Pro machines com1 port into life. I'm trying to get my Megger CM500 or the Seward Supernova PAT tester to talk with their respective programmes. All seems firn but neither will communicate with Com1 RS232 cable. I've buzzed out the pins and they're 2-3, 3-2, 5-5, 6-4, 4-6. as expected (cable supplied by Megger) and a second as supplied by Seward too. No joy with either.

Is there something I can check in the BIOS settings to determine if the port is active?

Can I run an XP check on the port that will say more than 'the device is functioning correctly'

I'm not used to this stuff as I normally use a mac where I just want to get the work done. Only use the PC for Visio, AutoCad and wanted to get a bit more out of it by uploading & storing test data.

Any pointers appreciated.

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Com1 Port
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2004, 1:27pm

Sorry Beanzy dont have windows here, but I found THIS ARTICLE which should sort you out(or at least give you a start)
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2004, 1:32pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2004, 8:43pm

Ta billy, will peruse and let you know if aught clicks into place.
 Kiss

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2004, 12:35am

When I got my 1st computer it was second hand with a 1440 modem.
After a few uses on the 'net I bought a 56k modem and installed it from the instructions with it.
I couldn't get it to work.
Eventually I took the PC to the shop I got the modem from and asked them to get it working.
I was trying to follow everything he did but he kept getting an error showing the modem on the LPT1 (printer) port.
2 hours later with the shop closing he swore it should work when I got home as he had done everything right to install it.
I paid the £25 charge and went merrily on my way.
Got home, plugged it in, same error.
I was fairly new to PCs so tried to see where the problem lay.
Within 5 minutes I had it fixed and working.
I had wasted my money at the shop because someone as new to computers as me soon found out that the fault was in the old modem drivers still in the COM port needed and the new drivers had been installed to the printer port by the 'expert' in the shop.
Simply removing the 1440 modem drivers and rebooting before installing the new 56k jobby soon fixed it.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:36am by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print