Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 4:15pm
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fire hoods (Read 11311 times)
roadblock
GDPR opt-out

Fire hoods
Jan 26th, 2005, 5:59pm

Sorry to start what may well be another "oh no not that again" topic but are fire hoods a legal requirement? I'm installing low voltage halogen spots in a bedroom and a bathroom of a newly constructed extension and having taken a look at the SF site I'm now confused . There is a loft room above these rooms and this may well have spots cut into the ceilings also, as the head height restricts the use of anything else. All help appreciated.
Thanks gents.

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Fire hoods
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2005, 6:25pm

fire hoods are only required on ceilings that are required to be fire barriers

in a domestic situation this ususally only means ceilings that are between a garage and a habitable room.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:44pm

Quite agree PW however the NHBC Dec 2004 news bulletin is now pushing them for downlighters fitted in ceilings which could create a route for airflow into the roof space.

David.
______

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2005, 5:30am

Got to have them as there's a habitable room above would be my understanding. The idea being to preserve the level of protection for the room above so anyone in there gets the required time. I don't have my buildings regs with me until Saturday when I'm back at base, so can't get the chapter & verse on it for you yet.  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:54pm

Here we go -

BS7671 - 527-02-01
Buiding regs - Parts B, E, F, J & L.
Part P Regulation 4 (2)

Try www.electro-technik@virgin.net
and www.snaplite.co.uk.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Goodsparks
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:39pm

As mentioned, fire hoods are required on any penetration into a fire resisting ceiling (where the ceiling is required to have fire resisting properties)

Its fairly safe to say that the only place they are not required is within the ceiling/loft void above the top habitable floor of the property. unless that ceiling is providing fire protection to structural steelwork etc.

Paul

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2005, 9:35pm

Makes you wonder why they aren't supplied as standard!

I found these that might be of interest if you also need to meet part E as well as L...

I have no connection with this company. If you know any others let us know!

http://www.electro-technik.com/index.html

http://www.electro-technik.com/frames.asp?mainpage=lighting/topaz.html

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2005, 5:34pm

[quote author=Goodsparks  link=1106762341/0#5 date=1107387594]As mentioned, fire hoods are required on any penetration into a fire resisting ceiling (where the ceiling is required to have fire resisting properties)

Its fairly safe to say that the only place they are not required is within the ceiling/loft void above the top habitable floor of the property. unless that ceiling is providing fire protection to structural steelwork etc.

Paul [/quote]

Hi Paul - Here's the diagram from the NHBC bulletin, they are certainly saying new builds should have them.

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:36pm by chtechie »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2005, 5:39pm

Where does the lamps heat go if you install according to the NHBC bulletin?  No venting at all and to finish it off the loft insulation is covering the fitting too!

The lamps would get very hot.  ??? ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2005, 5:54pm

OK so you want the text as well

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2005, 6:00pm

Interesting stuff.  I've always thought what's the point of 10" of loft insulation if it's peppered with large gaps to clear the bedroom downlighters.

I still thing the lamps will get too hot, that'll shorten their lifespan a bit.  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2005, 6:13pm

I can only say I'll update the forum if I hear of lots of lamps popping - One of my lads is a site manager for around 120 new builds and they are doing just as NHBC have written. We shall see!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2005, 6:15pm

Maybe NHBC and Osram are in cahoots  Grin Roll Eyes Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2005, 6:28pm

I can stand a few MR16's it's those MEM 3pin BC low energy lamps around £15 each that you want to last a few years!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supra59
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2005, 8:05pm

i dont no whether this is of any interest but click have just brought out a new downlight with a built in fire cap tn robinsons stock such an item

supra

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2005, 12:37am

Electro-technik do em but they aren't cheap -  I have the pricelist here - somewhere!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2005, 12:44am

Just for the record, where are you supposed to place the transformer if your using ELV fittings?
Inside the fire proofing or outside, i suppose it doesnt really matter as the idea behind these is to fire proof the ceiling after you have cut a hole into it

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print