Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 12:21am
Quote: Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Earth fault. (Read 9989 times)
JohnDavies
GDPR opt-out

Earth fault.
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:21pm

Oh, blast.

Just when I thought my rewire was getting there, I have a fault with my downstairs lighting circuit.  The back boxes,  earth wires and earth connections at roses all show up live with a test screwdriver. Whatever the current is it is very, very small - not enough to get a shock off - I had been working on the system with bare hands before I let the screwdriver touch a backbox and was most surprised when it lit up!   I have touched it since - accidentally touched a backbox - and there is no sensation at all.

At the CU however the earth connection doesn't show a light..

The circuit is a radial one - the feed for the lights runs under the floorboards, through 8' of conduit to the upstairs (conduit tests fine), then to a rose, which is the first thing to test +ive. All earth connections are wired to backboxes. The other (power) circuits test fine. CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker.  The upstairs lights haven't been hooked up yet, I want to cure this fault first.

Break in the earth between the CU and the first rose? Natural induction, as with a car coil?  If so, will coupling a new earth from the CU to the circuit sort it out?  

Help!

Thanks

John D

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2005, 11:22pm by tjohndavies »  

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Earth fault.
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2005, 11:44pm

its inductance.

neon screwdrivers.....never trust em

it lights up away from the CU end cos your a shorter  route to earth, whereas at the CU its very low so chooses to go the easy route.

nothing to worry about.

oh and please, please get a decent multimeter Grin

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2005, 12:21am

it sonuds like a break in the earth somewhere you really need to get a multimeter find it and fix it.

neon screwdrivers and modern multimeters both have extremely high input impedences so they can get voltage readings on items that are really isolated.

nonetheless this indicates a fault with the earth system and should NOT be ignored.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2005, 12:49am

H'mmmm.

So it's inductance - nothing to worry about (Superspark)

Or

An earth fault which definitely needs sorting (Plugwash)

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

So do I worry or don't I?  And will a decent earth connection straight back to the CU cure it?

Thanks - if confused -

John D

Thought - I suppose if it is an earth fault as I have no test equipment I could do a continuity test using 12v feed and a couple of bulbs......after disconnecting from the CU, naturally....!

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:11am by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2005, 3:35am

You'll have to hang around a bit.

Someone from the trade might give you the answer.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2005, 5:35am

[quote author=JohnDavies  link=1106954462/0#5 date=1106959760]H'mmmm.

So it's inductance - nothing to worry about (Superspark)

Or

An earth fault which definitely needs sorting (Plugwash)

[/quote]
the result you are getting doesn't mean the objects are live.

what it DOES MEAN is that they are NOT EARTHED when they sure as hell should be in case something live touches them.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2005, 7:41am

I agree with SS and PLUG.

It is inductance, BUT there is a strong chance the earthing conductor in the lighting circuit isn't earthed, which is why it is allowing this slight float voltage.

You need to prove the earth through continuity or a loop test.

Does the same thing happen with other circuits??

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2005, 11:32am

Actually, it seems logical if you think about it - yes, it is caused by induction, and yes, there is an earth fault!

I will check the feed cable by substitution and see if this cures it as the fault is present on all sockets and roses, although all earths look  sound visually.  

A thought - I do have a multimeter - I normally use it for car wiring but it has higher settings - is it a simple thing for anyone to tell me how to test and what the readings should be?

Thanks

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2005, 12:31pm

Please be careful JD - I agree with the likelyhood of it being inductance but I did have a job the other day where there was both an earth disconnetced and a live touching the back box.

David.
______

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2005, 1:21pm

what you need to do JD is make a flylead from some cable, do your 12v bulb setup, turn off CU, remove earth cable for this particular light circuit, and then go to your furthest light fitting, link one end of the earth cable to the lighting earth at the CU
then take the other end to the furthest point.

this is a good, although wont tell you of high resistances ect, way of checking.

but i would advice you to go for an atleast £9.99 multimeter

my test gear has cost me well over 2 grand, obviously you wouldent need most of it, but my £60 quid multimeter holds its own  Grin

i still think its induction.

it can appear at the lighting point and not at the CU, think of it like an earth rod, your one, the supply is one.

your closer as a path.....

electricity always takes the shortest route, which is great, unless its across your chest....

its good your checking JD.

i agree there could be a break in the earth cable, but i think its unlikly because ive come across this before, which is why the neon in my box is used as the party piece only  Tongue

ss

oh btw stoday, just thaught id let everyone know here

STODAYS APPLICATION TO TRADE WAS REFUSED.
on the grounds of being totaly unqualified, and showing no evedence of being so.

whoops....did i say that Lips Sealed

IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2005, 7:57pm

Bingo!  As suspected, everyone was right - cause of the glow was (presumably) impedence, but there was indeed an earth fault - one connection looked right but wasn't.  

Once it was remade, the test screwdriver only lights up on live wires.  So all's well that ends well!!  

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

John D
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2005, 7:59pm by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2005, 12:19am

it should be noted that sparkys seem to refer to any pickup of voltage on close wires as inductance even though the behaviour looks far more like capacitance between the cores.

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2005, 1:19am

thats because it usualy is inductance, the way cables are usualy run in bunches from the cu......

ss

IP Logged

Goodsparks
Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2005, 7:59pm

Ok, not havin a go, or meaning to cause any offence but.......

Helping solve faults like this one are what this part of the forum is all about.
As many of you have pointed out, neon screwdrivers are not nest instruments, simply indicators, indicators that will glow from 100-500 volts, and only then if the person holding them isn`t wearing gloves, decent shoes or standing on a ladder.
whilst just testing for continuity using a bellset (or battery/lamp)is ok,  it will not give any indication of resistance/impedance so isn`t really suitable for solving potentially leathal faults like this one (the intensity of the lamp isn`t a satisfactory indicator im afraid Smiley )

Stuff like this is ok for fixing cars but isn`t suitable for fixed electrical installations, domestic or otherwise.

Not ranting, just think its important that everybody understands why it is nescescery to test and why we all spend a lot of money on test gear and the maintenance of it.

Paul;

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2005, 11:05pm

But surely if my simple neon screwdriver shows me - correctly - that I have a fault, connecting a new earth feed to the circuit proves it is a broken earth, my neon screwdriver confirms that and then confirms that the job has been completed o.k.,   then simple kit - a neon screwdriver and a length of earth wire -  is well worth the trouble.  Without it, I would not have known - until I had the wiring checked at the end of the job - that I had a problem.

Nevertheless my first job once the wiring is completed will be to get someone in who has the correct kit and knows how to use it to check and certify the system.

But all test equipment however simple has its use.

John D

And if someone can tell me what the readings should be on my multimeter I will check it on that myself as a precaution.....
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2005, 11:05pm by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2005, 5:27pm

.....the problem is neons are crap.
full stop. no questions about it, honestly...
they cant even tell you with reliability if something is live!

they cant prove continuety...
can i ask how you found the break in the earth cable?

the problem is running a earth wire from the cu and testing with this will not work as it wont be subject to the inductance that occours in bunches of cables.
so it wont light the neon Tongue

on a multimeter you should also be using a loop impendence tester to measure the PFC and PSC (Ze and Zs ect) and from this you must work out trip times from the impendence of the circuit, if its too high then you would have to use bigger conductors, or by use of an rcd ect ect etc, but without having a go, and not meaning to sound like it, but thats why we went to college and spend £10000s of pounds on electrical test equipment and training, satisfying red tape and registering.........

a neon screwdriver....if thats the only bit of test kit you have used......please, please, use the multimeter and altleast get some R1+R2s on your circuits.

ss

IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2005, 12:26am

It seemed to me that if there was a minimal current (and remember I knew it was small) caused by impedence then should there be an earth fault it would run to earth if a decent earth was connected.  I did so, and bingo - no glow on the earth circuit. Took less time to do than it did to type up.

I therefore did manual checks and found an earth which looked good but wasn't.

As to the more professional checks, these will be done when the job has been completed and I have it certified, before we actually move in.  I know quite well where my level of competence stops!

Thanks

JohnD
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005, 12:27am by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print