Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 5:15pm
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help-whats the best thing to do? (Read 5748 times)
peter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Help-whats the best thing to do?
Jan 31st, 2005, 5:51pm

Ive got a vaillant 637 boiler and vantage 150ltr water cylinder fitted. This is an unvented system.

The plumber has also fitted a bronze pump for circulating the domestic hot water around the house. Its a two bathroomed
house which has two thermostatic showers.

The plumber has advised that this pump can be wired in order to stay switched on all the time thus enabling hot water from the tap at demand.

However ive also been advised by a friend that this will cool the water in the storage tank making the system work uneconomically, as the boiler will have to reheat the water which has been cooling having left the cyclinder.

Can any wise person tell me the best way to wire this pump ?

Many Thanks. ??? ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Re: Help-whats the best thing to do?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2005, 7:14pm

The pump should be wired so that it only circulates when needed - usually done by means of a time clock and a pipe stat

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:46am

[quote author=greg  link=1107193861/0#1 date=1107198886]The pump should be wired so that it only circulates when needed - usually done by means of a time clock and a pipe stat [/quote]
But doesn't this mean that you've still got to wait for hot water at taps with a long leg of pipework to them?  I always thought 'circulating' hot water was always pumped continuously (perhaps off at night or other times when house is unoccupied).

I assume you recommend 'timed pump' in this situation as this is a domestic dwelling rather than a hotel or similar?

If the pipe runs are heavily lagged then the heat loss would be minimal (no worse than the water in the actual cylinder).  The beauty of this system is that you get 'instant' hot water from a hot tap which is miles away from the hot cylinder.

I have considered this system for my own house as we have a bathroom with a long run back to the cylinder. If the pump is controlled by a 'stat', how quickly would hot water appear at a distant tap?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2005, 6:19pm

Jerry,

Pump would run continuously according to time clock and stat settings - purpose of these is to ensure that it is only running when necessary if the water is returning to the cylinder at 65 degrees then the entire "loop" is at 65 degrees so the pump can switch off, gravity circulation will then take over, return temp drops below stat setting, pump starts up again, temp rises in the loop, pump switches off etc etc - night time comes and time clock switches off the pump / stat set up

This set up will mean the only cold water you have is that in the draw off pipe from the loop which you would keep to a minium, certainly no more than a couple of meters

Hope that makes sense
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005, 6:21pm by greg »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:01pm

Hi Greg, I get it now!  Sounds good.

Will 'gravity circulation'  take over when the pump is off?  In other words, doesn't the pump itself act as a barrier to the gravity circulation?

What current does a little bronze pump draw?  It can't cost much to keep it running continuously (just using a timer for main off periods) ?  This would then save the need for a stat?

Are my ideas rubbish  Grin  Just trying to get me head around what I can do here at JerryD towers  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:07pm

Gregs idea sounds the thing to me, cant see why you would need instant hot water in the middle of the night unless you shiitte the bed  Smiley

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2005, 9:27pm

Jerry,

Go to www.grundfos.co.uk and do a search for "comfort" then select product range from the search results - these are all bronse pumps, ideal for secondary returns, you'll notice that you can buy them as a basic pump or pump & timeclock or pump, timeclock stat

Hey PVC man - long time no see here  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:32pm

[quote author=greg  link=1107193861/0#6 date=1107293276]Jerry,

Go to www.grundfos.co.uk and do a search for "comfort" then select product range from the search results - these are all bronse pumps, ideal for secondary returns, you'll notice that you can buy them as a basic pump or pump & timeclock or pump, timeclock stat
  [/quote]
Thanks greg, this looks like what I need. Shall have to do a costing now  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 7:39am

Not been anything really interesting on here recently, spending a fair bit of time on DIYnot.com

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2005, 1:34am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1107193861/0#4 date=1107284465]Hi Greg, I get it now!  Sounds good.

Will 'gravity circulation'  take over when the pump is off?  In other words, doesn't the pump itself act as a barrier to the gravity circulation?

What current does a little bronze pump draw?  It can't cost much to keep it running continuously (just using a timer for main off periods) ?  This would then save the need for a stat?

Are my ideas rubbish  Grin  Just trying to get me head around what I can do here at JerryD towers  Roll Eyes [/quote]

No;because there should be non-return valve fitted between the cylinder and pump to avoid reverse drawoff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2005, 7:14pm

I believe what you have is called a "secondary loop".

Usually found in hotels where the distance from hot water tank to tap is long.

It's not ususally intended to increase the water pressure just reduce the time it takes for the hot water to get to the tap. It's a nice feature to have.

Without the pump or with it off you have to wait longer for hot to come out and that wastes metered water.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print