Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 3:04pm
Quote: Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shower removal (Read 5933 times)
jazzy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

shower removal
Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:49am

i have a shower in my bedroo which i want removed
i have taken the cubicle down. what do i need to do to take the shower off the wall??? and remove the base??? without getting wet    Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Re: shower removal
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:21pm

What type of shower is it??

Electric, mixer etc.

More than likely an electric.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 4:04pm

Turn the water off - there should be an isolation or service valve somewhere in the pipe feeding the shower.

Turn off the mcb at the CU which supplies the shower.

Disconnect the cable - TEST FIRST THOUGH!

Undo the pipe gland on the shower. Have a towel handy to mop up any water which may drain out.

Unscrew the shower unit from the wall and remove.

Disconnect the shower cable in the CU, coil it up out of the way and tape the ends up. do this at the shower end too.

Don't know about the pipe - you mighgt have to cut it off below floor level under the boards and cap it with a service valve or a cap.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 6:42pm

mcb - miniature circuit breaker( in your CU - Consumer Unit

The shower fuse in the fusebox to you and me! lol Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 7:27pm

Don't forget the waste pipe, this needs capping or removing (depending what's easier).

The trap will have a cup full of water in it, so don't spill this on any downlighters that may be under the tray  Shocked Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2005, 10:22pm

[quote author=jazzy  link=1107344942/0#7 date=1107554435]why am i being advised i must have a mixer shower instaled when i have just taken an electric shower out? I have a combi boiler. [/quote]

Because the combi boiler is capable of supplying hot water to the shower so why bother heating up cold water with expensive electricity when it's already getting heated up by the boiler. But it depends on your house and how you use the water as to whether or not a mixer shower is feasible.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2005, 1:36am

It's not a must have thing, its a matter of personal taste. Like you correctly say you can install a leccy shower if you want to. Thing is that your combi is putting out hot water at mains pressure so your hot and cold supplies will be at the same pressure, ideal for a mixer shower. A little more work on the plumbing side, but no electrical.  You need to make sure your combi can supply the mixer shower you choose(if you choose a mixer) with the right volume of water.  Personally, if I took out a leccy shower, a leccy shower would go back in, the wiring is there already, and the plumbing would only need slight alteration to fit new shower. A better idea might be to get a power shower, hot and cold (pumped) supply, loooooooovely Wink

Btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2005, 10:07am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1107344942/0#9 date=1107567419]It's not a must have thing, its a matter of personal taste. Like you correctly say you can install a leccy shower if you want to. Thing is that your combi is putting out hot water at mains pressure so your hot and cold supplies will be at the same pressure, ideal for a mixer shower. A little more work on the plumbing side, but no electrical.  You need to make sure your combi can supply the mixer shower you choose(if you choose a mixer) with the right volume of water.  Personally, if I took out a leccy shower, a leccy shower would go back in, the wiring is there already, and the plumbing would only need slight alteration to fit new shower. A better idea might be to get a power shower, hot and cold (pumped) supply, loooooooovely Wink

Btk [/quote]

Cant fit a pump with a combican, nor on the mains to an electric shower.

personally I would keep the electric shower, at least it will still work when the can breaks down.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ian
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2005, 7:38pm

I should have known that Scruff would say something like this. They dont all break down you know!? Just the ones in the West Country    ooooh ahhh!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2005, 8:48pm

[quote author=ian  link=1107344942/0#11 date=1107632283]I should have known that Scruff would say something like this. They dont all break down you know!? Just the ones in the West Country    ooooh ahhh! [/quote]

Didn't disappoint you then  Grin anyone would think I don't like the cans  Grin

Don't all breakdown   Lips Sealed maybe not But I would wager 90% need parts replacement in the first 3 years  Cry

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2005, 11:31am

sorry, yeah stoopid me, you cant have a pumped supply off a combi or off the mains water. for a pumped shower you'd need a storage tank and h/w cylinder. Duhhhhh

[goes to the corner]

Smiley
btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2005, 8:01pm

You cant just cap off cold mains pipe, tee has to be removed so as not to leave a dead leg, nasty liccle germys breed in the still water, plus if you have a combi dead legs cause problems with the boiler clicking on and off when opening other cold taps in the property due to air in the end of the dead leg.

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jazzy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2005, 8:18pm

ok thank you all again for the help    
now!!!!!!  how easy is it to fit a mixer shower in my bathroom???????

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print