Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 11:16am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Radiator valve problem (Read 2129 times)
Ian_Reynolds
GDPR opt-out

Radiator valve problem
Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:11pm

I've removed a customers old single panel radiator from her hallway to plaster the wall, and tried in vain to put the old rad back on.

The trouble is that the rad valve has rusted shut and I have to get a replacement. The circular chrome tube comming out of the bottom of the rad cannot be removed and it houses a small piece of 15mm copper piping inside with an olive firmly affixed to it and a big nut.

This nut is not of a 15mm size, more of a 22mm size and I cannot find a 15mm thermostatic valve that has a 22mm rad insert. Anyone know what I can do without having to replumb?
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:12pm by Ian_Reynolds »  

IP Logged

ian
GDPR opt-out

Re: Radiator valve problem
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:03pm

sounds like ya gotta replumb!

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:05pm

[quote author=Ian_Reynolds  link=1107432681/0#0 date=1107432681]I've removed a customers old single panel radiator from her hallway to plaster the wall, and tried in vain to put the old rad back on.

The trouble is that the rad valve has rusted shut and I have to get a replacement. The circular chrome tube comming out of the bottom of the rad cannot be removed and it houses a small piece of 15mm copper piping inside with an olive firmly affixed to it and a big nut.

This nut is not of a 15mm size, more of a 22mm size and I cannot find a 15mm thermostatic valve that has a 22mm rad insert. Anyone know what I can do without having to replumb? [/quote]

Why cant the old rad connection be removed?
Does this "small piece of 15mm copper go inside the rad itself?
Are there two valves on this rad or only one to one side?
Can the olive be cut off or is it an "olive shaped" one-piece thing?
I can't get my head round what you mean, if its a regular valve try plumbcenter or any local merchants, most will still stock the "big nut" rad valves, if not get the old bit off the rad(you'll probably still need to re-plumb unless there is a lot of play in the supply pipes to the rad).

More info if possible please.

billythekid

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:07pm

also, could the old valve be overhauled, take it to bits, clean it up and put it back together again with new washers etc.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print