Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:16pm
Quote: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people - Orson Welles

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
computer prob (Read 9179 times)
Raptor
GDPR opt-out

computer prob
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:28am

Can anyone tell me why in the last week or so i can`t access some sites,as soon as i get connected to them internet explorer either closes instantly and screen goes back to desktop,or a box comes up saying I.E has an error and needs to close .Some of the sites i have been using for several years and had no probs before.I have checked system for viruses and spyware and both Norton and Macafee show nothing obvious.It`s doing my head in.

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Re: computer prob
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2005, 1:22am

IE may have lost some files so try repairing Internet Explorer.
Go to Start/Menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information.
Click Tools at the top then Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2005, 10:06am

Yes what Dewy said. Different sites use different features of IE.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2005, 11:28pm

Cannot find internet explorer repair tool where you said,am on XP if that makes any difference.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2005, 1:51am

If I remember right you repair IE in XP by going to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and try to remove Internet Explorer.
It wont let you remove it so repairs it instead.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2005, 1:51am by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2005, 1:58pm

[quote author=Dewy  link=1108689288/0#4 date=1108864272]It wont let you remove it so repairs it instead. [/quote]

As opposed to what Microsoft used to do if you tried to use an alternative browser in Windows, make sure the alternative browser is permanently knadgered Wink

Or a few years back when (I believe) Lotus discovered that their AmiPro product couldn't work as fast as Microsoft Word - Microsoft were using non-published API calls into the kernel to do the fast stuff.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2005, 7:29pm

Still no further forward, can`t even find I.E in the list of programs to add or remove.Is there another way around this by installing something else to open up to the net.Am on wanadoo dial up at the mo ,intend getting broadband soon but not if this prob persists.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

andymac
Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2005, 8:22pm

You could try Mozilla Firefox. I use that as an alternative to IE and it's the dog's nadgers. You have to download it off the net though, so not sure how you'd manage that if your IE's not playing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2005, 10:30pm

Downloaded the mozilla firefox (succesfully it said ?)it tranferred favourites,passwords .etc. but when i try to use it to open a site a box comes up saying the proxy server i have configured could not be found.Does this mean i can`t use it with Wannadoo?
Think i`ll take up fishing again and stuff the computer ,at least then i know what`s going on .lol.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2005, 2:06am

WRT a browser, might be worth popping in your local newsagents to see if there's a PC magazine on the shelf with a CD.

Invariably with these CD's they have a browser installation as part of the deal. I suspect that if you tried installing IE again it might fix the problem.

However, IE is so closely coupled to the operating system on Microsoft systems that you could well need to re-install your op sys to get over this one. I've been there!

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2005, 7:56am

[quote author=Raptor  link=1108689288/0#6 date=1108927756]Still no further forward, can`t even find I.E in the list of programs to add or remove.Is there another way around this by installing something else to open up to the net.Am on wanadoo dial up at the mo ,intend getting broadband soon but not if this prob persists. [/quote]

Its not in the list of programs its in the add/remove windows components i think(on the left sidebar in the add/remove programs window)

Personally I use mozilla or opera as my browser, and microsoft have finally gotten some of their programs to open your default browser(mozilla in my case) instead of I.E. when you click links. I cant fault mozilla but one thing to notice is that some things work a little differently, like special layouts might appear different on different browsers but all in all  a great browser.

Like i said to repair IE its in control panel/ add remove programs then click on the add/remove windows components button on the left, a new dialog will open up, uncheck internet explorer, then click next, let it uninstall or whatever it does then go back in there, check the box for ie and click next again to install afresh(or repair if thats what happens! lol)
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:01am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2005, 8:23pm

Tried what you suggested Billy,box for I.E was not ticked .anyway went through the process and it said it configured I.E succesfully.All it seemed to do was put another I.E shortcut on my desktop.Still can`t access some sites i want.  So went back in and unchecked the box and configured it again ,still no repair.
Any more ideas lads before i have to get someone out to have a look at the system.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2005, 9:03pm

are all your updates up to date?
did you install anything else recently that might be conflicting?
did you recently install SP2? if so the ie in sp2 comes with a built in popup killer, could be causing trouble, click the bar at the top if it appears(its yellow) to allow the sites.
have you tried to access the sites with another browser?
is it a java or flash problem?
lots more ideas, need more info tho.
what sites are you trying to access that aren't working?
scan your system with adaware or spybot search and destroy.
do you have any BHOs installed(yahoo toolbar google toolber etc. amongst others)
is anything else not working that you've noticed?
do you need to defrag?
what is the error number ie is giving.
can you ALWAYS re-create the problem or is it intermittant?

some starters.....

billy ;o)
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2005, 9:03pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Raptor
Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2005, 10:42pm

Thanks for all the replies lads but i finally gave up with IE and managed to download mozilla firefox and get it working.Seems to work better than IE did anyway.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2005, 1:22am

btw if you need to download firefox on a machine with no functional browser you can use the command line ftp client that ships with windows.

get a command prompt/dos prompt and change to the dir you want to download to

type
ftp ftp.mozilla.org

it will ask you for a username and password you should just be able to press enter at both prompts (if not try typing anonymous as the username)

type
get "pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.1/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 1.0.1.exe"

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2005, 7:13am

One thing worth doing if you use command line FTP (good idea pluggie!).

After you have opened FTP in a command window type the command 'hash'. Then when you download anything you will get hash signs showing on screen as the download progresses. This can be reassuring that something is happening, otherwise you are staring at a dumb screen until the FTP finishes.

Oh, and to end the FTP session type 'quit'. You can see all the available commands by typing a question mark.

HM

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:45am

[quote author=Raptor  link=1108689288/0#11 date=1109017416]Still can`t access some sites i want. [/quote]

Can you tell us which sites you have a problem with and what happens when you try (what error message?).

Are they just sites that use Java?

Have you checked for a browser hijack?

Have you checked to see if something has set up a "hosts file" and entries in it that map these sites to a null location?

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:45am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print