Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:36pm
Quote: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people - Orson Welles

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replastering laths (Read 5590 times)
plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

replastering laths
Jun 19th, 2004, 7:59pm

there is a toilet under the stairs in our house and the celigin is in pretty poor shape

when i pull down the ceiling paper im expecting to lose a lot of the ceiling too

the thing is there is a small section which curves downwards which im pretty sure is lath and plaster and would be very hard to replace with plasterboard because of the location of a partion wall

so a few questions
1: is it possible to replaster laths?
2: should i use anything special in the plaster mix (like horsehair)?
3: if so where do i get it
4: is there anything that should be done to the laths first?

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: replastering laths
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2004, 8:10pm

the thing about lathe is that if the plaster falls off you will still have your wood in place.
plasterwise...you have a hell of a job, if you can simply line the old ceiling then you would be better off doing that...
you can get plasterboard to follow a curve and then just make good any gaps

if you realy have to plaster then for gods sake dont pull off too much of the old plaster- even if its loose, you need yo use something as a guide unless you can actuly plaster.

oh and if any plaster does come down...make sure the doors to the main house are closed and you have a dust mask and googles....trust me, you will never see so much crap comming down ontop of you in your life!

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2004, 9:32pm

Reminds me of the last one I pulled down.

Sheeted everything in sight, sealed the doors with plastic, went to bed when all done and there was a inch of black dust covering the bedroom  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

A trick I found was to tack exmet to the surface first, but only if you can't board it.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ROBBO
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2004, 11:35am

Firstly it is very diificult to remove the old plaster from the laths without bringing down the laths. if indeed you can remove enough to just patch it up then just use bonding as a backing coat it will stay in place because it will be forced between the gaps in the laths thus holding tight when set.
If you remove the majority of the lath another option is to tack expanding metal sheet to the joist to maintain the curve float and skim.
also another way is to rib the plasterboard by cutting the board say every two inches at the back and snapping the ribs leaving the front intact.
again you could take down the ceiling in full, curve and all and apply boards straight to joists then reinstate the curve with bonding to achieve the original curviture.
Hard to say which method would suit without seeing the job first hand

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2004, 1:37pm

i don't plan to do it just yet...

afaict most of the ceiling in there is plasterboard but a small part of the ceiling is formed by the undercover of the stairs

this section is almost certainly lath and plaster and it goes under a parition wall that was built later

im hoping that this curved section will survive when i rip down the ceiling paper but i just wanted to know what my options were if the plater came off it

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Lugosi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2004, 11:18am

Hi

Is it not possible to put a bonding coat on the laths first (leaving enough room for the final skim)  -ensuring it gets right betwen the laths..?

I'm doing a plastering course and we were doing bonding coats and the instructor said you could use bonding to cover laths ok and then skim...

Cheers
Lugosi.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2004, 2:37pm

R.E. my last post !

Welcome Lugosi (Bella?)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lugosi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 7:41am

My first post here and I manage to prove that I can't read! A*se!! Roll Eyes, (it's never been a problem with those pesky instructions that come with everything)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print