Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 3:44am
Quote: Spotted on the back of a T-shirt worn by a Bomb Squad official: "If you see me running, try to keep up!"

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plasterboarding garage ceiling (Read 7885 times)
Lee_Elms

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Plasterboarding garage ceiling
Oct 25th, 2004, 12:48pm

I wish to plasterboard my garage ceiling (I'm planning to use the garage as a woodworking workshop; it won't be used to park any cars).  The loft space is boarded,  and I plan to add insulation between the plasterboard and the loft floor.

I don't want to plaster it; just tape and fill the joints and then paint.

I really need some knowledgeable advice on the 'details' ... questions that occur to me are:

What plasterboard should I choose?  Is 9.5mm thick suitable?  Do I want straight or tapered edge?

I (think I) prefer screws to nails for fixing.  What length screws should I use?

Is there anything else I need to know that I don't even realise to ask about?

Thanks in advance ...

-- Lee
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Re: Plasterboarding garage ceiling
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2004, 1:02pm

plasterboard 12.5mm, but in this aplication i would consider fireline.

screws, yes, 32/38mm

tapered edge boards if you just want to do joins

dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lee_Elms

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2004, 1:21pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is 12.5mm to be preferred over 9.5mm for ceiling usage because it is stiffer and therefore will sag less between fixings?

Re: 'fireline' ... presumably (?) a more fire resistant plasterboard variant ... is this because it would be more suitable if/when the building is used as a garage in the future, or for some other reason?

-- Lee

-- Lee
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2004, 1:32pm

[quote author=Lee_Elms  link=1098704902/0#2 date=1098706863]Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is 12.5mm to be preferred over 9.5mm for ceiling usage because it is stiffer and therefore will sag less between fixings?
 -- Lee
[/quote]
you have answered your own question  Wink

as for the other, regulations state that you need 1/2hour fire resistance. part of that is having 2mm of skim on the plasterboard
because you just want to tape & join the fireline may give you the extra bit that you should have.
i am not quoting regs here, but if you need to know more i/we should be loking at the british gypsum site.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2004, 6:16pm

You only need a fireproof ceiling if the area above is habitable or links to habitable space.  If it's just the pitched roof loft of the garage then fire protection is not required.

If it is to be fire protected then you have to plaster it or double tack it with staggered joints.  All holes where cable or pipes pass through should be sealed with an intumescant mastic or fire collar.

To me though, it sounds like this roof space is just garage storage?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2004, 6:31pm

Just a thought - have you thought of using another material, for example thin ply or MDF? Even hardboard ought to do the trick.

I think wood might be a bit easier to work with from the point of view that plasterboard is going to be a bit dusty when you start cutting and drilling.

Being your garage ceiling you probably aren't too bothered about appearance like you would if it was a habitable room.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lee_Elms

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2004, 9:29pm

Thanks for the input; you've given me something to think about !

The area above is just the garage loft space, and the garage is detached, so I don't think the fire issue is relevant in this case; but it's good to know what would be required if it was.

-- Lee
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print