Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: drywall screwdriver
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2004, 1:44am

dont know about the kit dj but the the info suggest days and days before you get your kit [indead about two weeks ] payment clearing days despaching ect
when i orderd my dewalt jigsaw from them Roll Eyes Grin it took 3 days orderd midnight came 59 hrs later Roll Eyes Grin Grin Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2004, 1:46am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2004, 8:27am

Wouldn't cordless be better?  That trailing lead could be annoying (it would annoy me anyway!  Sad)

Otherwise I'm sure it's a good unit, all the Makita stuff I own is tough as old boots, in fact I've never had to replace any of the Makita stuff I own, now I think about it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2004, 7:23pm

Those dry wall screw guns are good ,BUT you might get fed up with paying for the screws

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

andymac
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2004, 7:57pm

Are the screws standard or would you have to keep buying screws to fit that particular gun?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2004, 10:51pm

[quote author=andymac  link=1102725984/0#4 date=1102795067]Are the screws standard or would you have to keep buying screws to fit that particular gun? [/quote]
you have to buy collated screws andymac, like these....... http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=NSTRVBYOZYD25CJO2C4CJ0Q?i...
but another predicament is should i get the above or should i get this..... http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=6837&ID=2189
it has been pointed out to me screws may snag, not the sort of thing you need when holding a 6x3 on a ceiling with one hand

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2004, 12:35am

I know quite a few joiners who have them.

great if you do lots of stud walls

the feeding mechanism can be temperamental occasionally tho

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2004, 11:20pm

they are fekkin excellent pieces of kit(well the cordless ones are anyway) you can get an extension bit to do ceilings without steps too. Great, if you get one, you'll wonder how you ever managed to finish anything without it. Super fast, depth adjustment, good for sheet flooring too.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2004, 11:21pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2004, 11:58pm

I agree, I've got the Senco 14.4v cordless, great tool.

It has to be cordless for me, the extra weight and interference of the cable would piss me off.

Senco do an 18v too but it's a bit big, I only ever use 35mm screws (sometimes 45mm) so the 14.v is perfect.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2004, 9:43pm

d.j. I have a German corded jobbie made by Holzer and find it superb for ceilings. Thing with the 240 machine is its nice and compact and when you are used to it its a doddle to feed it manually just pop on the screw with the left hand to the magnetised head and screw up with the gun in  the right hand (no need to hold the screw ) so you are feeding with the left and screwing with the right ... a lot faster than tacking (nails).
I looked at the cordless but from holding it it seemed a very very awkward and oversized bit of kit, I was looking at the milwaukee one. No doubt the cordless screws are far more expensive than a big box of  loose.
Have not used a cordless so can not compare other than having handled one but I am happy with my 240 and will be getting a new makita one as my Holzer is getting a bit worn. Perhaps cordless are better for walls but i allways tack those anyway so everything considered i like the compactness and ease of use from the corded macchine and have been using this one the past fifteen years.
I use 8x4  on the ceilings with a dead man as help and simply drop in a couple of nails to hold and then screw them up tight.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2004, 9:47pm by ROBBO »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2004, 4:38pm

robbo do you mean you have this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=24571&id=19366

rather than this http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=6834&ID=1660

when you say you feed the magnetised head with your left?????????????????????

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2004, 10:26pm

Thats right scotspark... the first one, once you have the hang of it you simply keep feeding the magnetised head from your left hand and fire them straight in, as I say once you have used it a while you wont need to align the screws one at a time with one hand while operating the screw gun with the other simply feed n fire em en rapido! thats why the look of those big cumbersome jobbies dont appeal, I dont see as you would go that much faster.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print