Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 6:23pm
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replaster or not? (Read 2143 times)
JohnDavies
GDPR opt-out

Replaster or not?
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:22pm

I have been completing our rewire and there are several places where I have been chasing in wires where I have found that the plaster - though intact - sounds solid if you tap it but in fact it is not adhering to the wall.  The house is a 1930's semi and the plaster is probably original as most of the decor, kitchen and bathroom were.

Is this what they mean by 'blown' plaster?

Is it sufficient to work some bonding in behind the old stuff and then plaster where I have chased out?  

Is there a more scientific answer, or is the only real answer to replaster all affected rooms.  Which is most of them.  Sob.  

Thanks

JohnD
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2005, 12:05am by tjohndavies »  

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Re: Replaster or not?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2005, 9:06am

someone should bealong to deal with you shortly we apologise for the delay Roll Eyes

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Handyman

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2005, 5:00pm

[quote author=JohnDavies  link=1107300125/0#0 date=1107300125]
...Is it sufficient to work some bonding in behind the old stuff and then plaster where I have chased out?... [/quote]

How much of the plaster is doing this?  Is it just in the vicinity of the chasing out, or is it spread across the whole wall?  If its just a local thing then its no big deal to hack off the knackered stuff and re do it.  If it's the whole wall, then how do you propose to get the bonding behind it?  At best you will "stick it down" around the edges of the chasing and that's your lot!  

Or have I missed the point here? ???

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2005, 9:40pm

It seems to me that it isn't really adhering firmly to the brickwork - although untouched areas seem solid enough, and sound right when you tap them, in areas where I have been chiselling out holes for backboxes it comes away very easily, loosened by the vibration,  and once you start removing the darn stuff you can go on forever, as it all then comes away from the brick very easily.  Perhaps the walls weren't wet enough in the first place when it was plastered.  

Having chewed it over, and lacking any other answers,  I will try working a little bonding in and then scratch coat and topcoat a few trial areas and see what happens.  I just thought that if this was a common problem there might be a high- tech answer I didn't know about - soaking it with PVA or something, I don't know.  Plastering isn't my game!   Undecided

Thanks

JohnD

Have just read'plastering on painted walls' which seems to fit my situation as well. If all else fails I'll dot and daub.  Sob, again.   Sad
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2005, 9:45pm by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print