Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:04pm
Quote: Alcohol and mathmatics do not mix. Never drink and divide.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Printing (Read 2193 times)
Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Printing
Mar 9th, 2005, 7:02pm

First of all - very quiet here today!

Secondly - Printing web pages to paper.

I have to print in landscape to make sure most web pages print is complete.  Otherwise is runs off the right hand side of the portrait print.

Make sense?  Sorry, drinking.

I am using explorer.

Anyone have any tips for printing pages easily - lets face it, Portrait A4 was designed because it is an easy to handle and manage sheet - Landscape is a pain in the arse!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Re: Printing
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2005, 7:14pm

It depends how expert the web designer was.

You can create web pages that have a very fixed format, the secret of spotting these is when you have a horizontal scrollbar along the bottom edge of the browser window. With these they will require to be printed in landscape mode.

However, if you don't have the horizontal scrollbar then the web page has been designed in flexi-mode, meaning that the browser has permission to reposition whatever it wants to in order to show the page. Printing is usually more successful with such pages.

Unfortunately, if the web site is using frames then the term "you are stuffed" applies. Frames really mess up printing big time.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2005, 11:02pm

Quote:
Unfortunately, if the web site is using frames then the term "you are stuffed" applies. Frames really mess up printing big time.
LMAO now there's an understatement. I was on a site today on my mums computer that loaded any links into frames on mouseover!!
I hear IE(havent managed to convert her yet) doing that clicky thing so the pages/frames were loading but there were so many you couldnt see them! lol

I would like to design my site using frames tho, i could get so much content without the address changing or pages loading/re-loading  mmmmmmm

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2005, 1:41pm

Yeah, but you wouldn't be too pleased with the result.....

I understand that search engines don't like framed web sites, reason being that the search engine robots can't render the frames - they are just smart enough to read the content of a single page, so stuffing a page full of frames means they get awfully confuddled.

I've done framed web sites before, but I always prefer non-framed.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print