Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: POST HOLES
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2005, 11:22am

a 20-30mm ballast is best... not just sand/cement mix.. and as for the ratio a good 4 ballast to 1 cement is fairly good...  if post is about a 4" square job, then look at using 2 bags of (bulider centre-not diy shed sized) ballast per 3 posts, you should allow about 4-6" around each post, if you are going to put posts about 12" down that is..
soak the ends of the posts for about an hour or two  in a bucket of preservative, and a real good tip is thus.... do NOT put the post onto concrete.... put the post onto a bed of 20-30mm stones as this will allow full drainage of any water that gets between the post and the concrete infill, and not form a bath for the post which speeds up the rotting about 100%

hope this lot helps 8)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2005, 11:24am

oopppsss! so 6-7 bags ballast, 3 cement max and a bag of stones, plus your chosen preserve... sorry left this list out of last "post" 8)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2005, 8:41am

good tip that about the stones Wolf most timely as I'm about to set in two dirty great 6" gate posts this affternoon for my aunty, what a nightmare digging the old ones out last weekend, whoever fitted them last time meant them to stay put, they were buryed about 3 foot in the ground in a hole that must of contained the best part of half a yard of concrete they had even drilled through the posts and put a load of rebar through the hole too, took me two days to get them out and now as I have left what look like two bomb craters I have no option other than to do the same when replacing the posts.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print