Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 27th, 2024, 4:22am
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cement tone .. f.a.o. Jerry (Read 4742 times)
Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Cement tone .. f.a.o. Jerry
Apr 23rd, 2005, 6:00pm

Am just finishing an extension but am having real problems getting a colour match on the joints to match the existing property. They are a dark brown and the two browns in stock at the merchants are russet and buff..Russett being the darker. Mixed on its own it is no where near a match, mixed with a bit of black it is spot on till it cures where it is a messy light browny grey. Have had to rake out the joints and intend to point them up on completion. This applies only to the front as the side elevation is agaist a boundary wall and colour match is not realy an issue. Can you get a dark brown cementone? Had tried soaking the bricks prior to laying also but without success, have had to take off a course and inside the bed is a rich brown whereas the pointing is the greyey brown, bucket handled joints before they went off too much also so as not to blacken them.... any ideas Jerry or anyone else or if I cant get hold of a deeper Brown.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2005, 6:03pm by ROBBO »  

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Cement tone .. f.a.o. Jerry
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 6:47pm

You may want to take a look at Tilcon & RMC pre coloured mortars, these should come out as per their samples as you are not affecting the colour by adding your own sand that can vary around the country.

These are available baged or readymixed.

Jason

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 6:50pm

This can be a real problem to match old coloured mortar with new.

You could try using a very light coloured sand with the dye as very orange sand can overpower the dye.

However, for best results you can't beat readymix mortar, see this pdf link

http://www.tarmac.co.uk/live/pdf/product/mortar_colour.pdf

They do many colours including Chololate Brown and Black Brown, and each of these in various shades. The advantage of this is that the manufacturers know what will be the finished colour after curing.  You can't get this with these diy dyes you just chuck in the mixer.

Not sure on cost of this stuff though.............  Sad

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2005, 6:51pm

Hey Jason, that's what I said!  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2005, 9:07pm

Thanks guys ... The problem is as you will be aware Jerry at least, is that I am in rural Ireland, where in many respects for inovative materials we are light years behind. The mortar on the original house, being part of a housing estate was indeed ready mixed, but small quantities like I needed are a non starter.
There is only one sand type in my town and it is a course plastering type sand, even the concrete pan tiles I have had to order in from the nearest city of galway as none of the merchants carry them.
There is not a great area to cover so will just have to experiment find the best match possible and mix one pointing gauge and have done with! Sad
Thanks Jerry and Jason

Regards

Robbo

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2005, 11:13pm

Looks like you may have to rake out and repoint the whole house.........  Shocked Undecided

only way to guarantee a match  Undecided

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2005, 12:42am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1114275655/0#5 date=1114467217]Looks like you may have to rake out and repoint the whole house.........  Shocked Undecided

only way to guarantee a match  Undecided [/quote]

Why stop there ....I may as well do the whole estate!! Cheesy

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2005, 2:52pm

lol  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print