Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 12:22am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stud wall estimation (Read 2454 times)
abantock

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Stud wall estimation
May 5th, 2005, 10:15pm

I'm currently considering several different ideas for a second bathroom in my house and was wondering if anyone had a good formula for estimating the amount of timber stud required for a given square metreage of wall?

A nice little Excel application must exist somewhere.  If it has the option to plug in local timber and board costs that would be luverly too!

Andy B

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Stud wall estimation
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2005, 7:54am

For something this small a square meter rate would not be that good. The proportion of waste boards and the amount of timber for wall, floor & ceiling plates would throw the calcs out. Also depends on what length you can by your studs in at as to how much waste to allow

Easier to draw it out to scale & workout what you need, timber plates all round perimeter and doorway, studs at 400cts and one row of noggins should do.

Assuming your ceiling is not over 8ft then work out how many boards across the room & double it, ignoring the door opening.

On a clear run 3.6m of studwork per m2 works out OK with the right length studs to give no waste.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

abantock

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Stud wall estimation
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2005, 9:36pm

I'd sort of come to the same conclusion but it's nice to hear (read) it from the horses mouth!  Thanks.

Andy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print