Send Topic Print
Alarm cable? (Read 3647 times)
novice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Alarm cable?
May 11th, 2005, 6:59pm

Hi, will alarm cable run outside to garage that is exposed to the elements suffer any detrimental effects due to heat/cold and cause nuisance tripping? Also I have fitted a couple of alarms and run cables close to mains cable in places without any probs, just how vulnerable are cheap domestic alarms to mains inteference?
Thanks.

novice
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Alarm cable?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2005, 7:55pm

White cables installed in direct sunlight will deteriorate in time.  Best to use black cables.

Outside is also a harsh environment, and the use of SWA should be considered.

Mains cables should be kept away from ELV cabling from the point of view of safety for than interferance with the alarm.  You do not want to induce voltage from the mains cable into the ELV cables of the alarm.

I am sure that our resident Alarm Expert, Lurch will put you right in the way to continue.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2005, 1:09am

As Lectrician says, over time the cable will deteriorate but your yearly service will show up any deterioration so I shouldn't have thought you should see any sudden unexpected faults.

I would avoid running mains and alarm\data\telecom cabling as the induced voltage from the mains cable can cause damage and\or nuisance activations. There is also the fact that it's considered as 'rough' and the fact you are DIY'ing the job isn't an excuse for not doing it properly.

Cheap domestic alarms as available from B&Q and the like are susceptible to inteference and false alarms when they are fitted correctly, theyre generally crap from day one to be fair. They will be more susceptible than a professional, branded alarm as they [B&Q alarms] will use cheaper components with lower tolerances to spikes\inteference.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

novice

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2005, 8:09am

Thanks for the advice, I fitted a B&Q alarm to my house 4 years ago without a problem since, but I will check out my local profesional security wholesaler in the future.

novice
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2005, 11:37am

When I said a professional alarm I meant professionally supplied, installed, serviced & maintained.

If you're going to be fitting it yourself you may as well carry on with the B&Q one, a professional system will not be of any benefit to you.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2005, 12:09pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1115834370/0#1 date=1115837752]<snip>
Outside is also a harsh environment
<snip> [/quote]
I went outside once, think i'll stay here from now on with you nice people...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print