Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 8:02am
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New bathroom (Read 2255 times)
spongebob
GDPR opt-out

New bathroom
May 27th, 2005, 12:05pm

Where an additional bathroom is installed in a dwelling and the hot and cold supply can be isolated by easily accessible ball valves, is it still necessary to install iso valves to the individual pipes supplying the sanitaryware and bath?

IP Logged

bstyle
GDPR opt-out

Re: New bathroom
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2005, 1:11pm

I would put isolation valves on everything, Bath, Basin, W.C. Also a couple of gate valves or lever action valves on the Shower. You shoul d do this so you can isolate each individual item seperatly.

Also, if you mean that you are supplying the entire bathroom with Ballafix valves then this is incorrect, the correct isolation method would again be Gate valves or lever operated valves.

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2005, 6:14pm

I wouldnt bother with seperate valves to each appliance unless you need them for right now, i.e need the pipework installed and toilet on but basin and bath still to fit. Then you could drop on valves for each appliance, or simply stop end them.  Theres no real need to seperately isolate each appliance when there are control valves in place for the "legs" of the bathroom, and no provision in teh regs for this either.

fwiw I tend to put ballofix valves in as well as they look neater, although you then need a screwdriver to operate them, not ideal in an emergency, as bstyle said the correct isolation would be gate valves, stop cock(for high pressure) or lever valves

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2005, 12:07am

Thanks for the replies chaps. Existing isolation valves are full bore lever operated. There will be a thermostatic mixer shower going in at some point. Hot water is from a combi. Are check valves needed? Sister-in-law has recently had a combi and shower installed. Hot and cold supply pipework to shower had a couple of screwdriver operated valves with "big nuts" on them. Not seen these before. Anyone come across them ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2005, 12:09am

could be bsp iso ballofixes to fit to a male thread... or perhaps they were in line filters, which can look like ballofix valves a bit, but they are bigger.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print