Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 9:40am
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What happens if you overtighten nut? (Read 2231 times)
me

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

What happens if you overtighten nut?
Jun 4th, 2005, 2:44pm

Hi all, great site - wish I'd found it before I started my bathroom!

Anyway, bathroom sink has pop-up waste and has been leaking. Following advice from someone, I took it to bits, dried it all off and reassembled as told to with plenty of silicone.

I'm a bit worried now though as I've read that you shouldn't overtighten nuts and I screwed on the large plastic nut that went underneath the sink to hole the waste on, really tightly. Hand tight then probably 3 (I think) quarter turns with tool.

Silicone is almost dry now so not easy to take off and redo. Is this an issue I need to worry about? I haven't checked for leaks as I was waiting until silicone was completely dry.

Does it really make a difference if the plastic nut is too tight? What would happen? Do I need to be concerned or am I worrying for nothing?

Cheers for any advice.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: What happens if you overtighten nut?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2005, 5:27pm

All that happens is that the plastic nut snaps or you strip the thread.  You can be dead unlucky and crack the basin but usually the nut gives up first.

Sounds like you're ok though..........  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2005, 5:23pm

yeah with the addition of the silicon as a lubricant while tightening you're probably fine. The biggest "overtighten" problem comes with compression fittings on copper, if you overtighten those the olive(compression ring) can actually dig too far into the copper and burst it!

plastic nuts on basin wastes are a total bastard too tho! lol

btk
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2005, 5:23pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

me

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2005, 12:18pm

Brilliant, thanks for replies.

Looks like I can breathe easy now then, the waste isn't leaking now so I really didn't want to have to take the nut off again. I just wasn't sure what the consequences could've been.

Useful to know about the copper fittings. I'll bear that in mind for future use.

Thanks again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print