Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 2nd, 2024, 3:03am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shower Base (Read 2694 times)
Ali Butt

Don't get mad get even!
 Henry Ford I

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Shower Base
Jun 8th, 2005, 9:55pm

I read somewhere that the Plywood base that the shower tray is bedded upon should be 22 mm marine ply.  My local timber merchants only stocks 18 mm.  If I reduce the spacing between the timbers on which it will stand will that be OK?  The shower is a Matki and measures 1200 x 800 mm.

Or should I bond a piece of thinner marine ply on top of the 18 mm to achieve a minimum of 22 mm?

I had to buy a whole sheet and so could use another thickness of 18 mm [total of 36 mm] but that seems a bit like overkill?

Oh and I read somewhere that it may be necessary to make an inspection facility to access the waste?  The Matki shower tray comes with a low profile (remarkably like the Hep Trap) waste.  So my questions this – is an inspection facility required and if so how the hell can it be achieved whilst still maintaining a strong stable base for the shower tray?

Any advice gratefully received and acted upon

Ali
Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: Shower Base
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2005, 10:40pm

dont panic!! lol  

all you really need is a good stable level flat base for the shower tray, unless the manufacterers state differently. if its bedded down well and level you will have no trouble. the 18mm ply should do fine, especially if you strengthen the joists, 22mm would be preferable, but not "necessary"(waits for contradictory replies).

An inspection is not required either, well not for inspecting it! lol just for the fitting you will need a way of getting your waste pipework all connected up to the trap.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2005, 9:10am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1118264105/0#1 date=1118266819] ...just for the fitting you will need a way of getting your waste pipework all connected up to the trap.
btk [/quote]

Which leads me to ask how you install one of these...?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Ali Butt

Don't get mad get even!
 Henry Ford I

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2005, 9:51am

[quote author=billythekid  link=1118264105/0#1 date=1118266819]

just for the fitting you will need a way of getting your waste pipework all connected up to the trap.

btk [/quote]Yes I am still trying to get my head around this one Undecided  Many thanks for the reply.

Ali
Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2005, 10:04pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1118264105/0#2 date=1118304645]

Which leads me to ask how you install one of these...?

[/quote]
hopefully, before the tiler! lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print