Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 9:28am
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Career Advice (Read 2000 times)
wannabeplumb

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Career Advice
Jul 19th, 2005, 10:50pm

Hi guys,
I've recently taken a short course (1 week) in plumbing and really want to get into this full time. Trouble is, I'm not apprenticeship age!! (32)

And I've found, knowing plumbing is like having a magic ingredient. No one wants to share it. You go to local plumbers and offer to help out for very little or nothing and they turn their noses up.

You can't get a job unless you have experience, and you can't get expereince for fear of treading on peoples toes... and stealing the magic ingrediant! Cry

Yet everyone bemoans the lack of skilled plumbers!

So, I need some help here guys! The only way I see it is to pay through the nose for a private course.

Now I need a few opinions on this course http://www.moveontraining.co.uk/6_week_plumbing.html

It's 6 week full time and at the end of it you gain the City and Guilds 6129 Plumbing Technical Certificate.

Constructive opinions please. Is this certificate worth the paper it's written on?

The 6 week course is 3100 pounds. A lot of money, but I'm prepared to pay if this is a step in the right direction.

MET-UK also run a 27 week course which is a mixture of 11 weeks practical training and 16 weeks job placement. (NVQ2) Though this is based in Yorks (Im in London)

I really don't have the time or patience to go to collage for 2 days a week for 3 years. It'll be 10 years before I'm earning anything decent!

Does anyone please have advice?
Thanks in advance

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Re: Career Advice
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2005, 6:50am

I can assure you there is NO shortage of plumbers, just ask some of the plumbers out there what is their workload like, most will answer it is in decline.

What do you do for a living at the moment, how much do you earn, don't be fooled by press reports on what plumbers earn, you would be looking at an average of £23,000.00 per year realistically
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2005, 6:53am by REAL_PLUMBER »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Career Advice
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005, 2:39pm

Quote:
It's 6 week full time and at the end of it you gain the City and Guilds 6129 Plumbing Technical Certificate

I'm not a plumber so I don't know these certificate numbers but I don't think you get 6129 at the end. I think you get 6022 (whatever the difference is?).

It says..

"..will allow candidates to _continue_ through to the City & Guilds 6129 Plumbing Technical Certificate"

and

"..this course will give a recognised City & Guilds Level 2 Plumbing Qualification (City & Guilds 6022 Certificate)"

So it looks like you will have to find some on-the-job training afterwards if you want 6129 rather than 6022.

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2005, 2:39pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print