Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 7:30pm
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pergula design +(4x4 fixing) (Read 1917 times)
typical.me
GDPR opt-out

pergula design +(4x4 fixing)
Jul 26th, 2005, 12:07am

Firstly, thanx for all the info on 4x4 post fixings, much appreciated.
Wondered if anyone can help on next part Smiley
Pergula is still in its "design stage" and dimensions are dictated by my house wall and neighbours  boundary garage wall. No iwill not be fixing onto the garage!!! Wink
Pergula will be 8' by 6', and 7'3" high (7'3" dictated by garage height as its a little below my ground level, and want to keep symmetary).
as i said, the actual "look" of the structure is sorted, but i am unsure what size rafters and bearers to fit, bearing in mind the 4x4 uprights.(want it to look sustantial), should i use 4"x2" or 6"x2" treated timber, and also, can i buy these in 10' lengths, sorry 3m lengths. I still use old money!!
thanx in advance
mick

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: pergula design +(4x4 fixing)
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2005, 12:21am

6 x 2 will look much better.  4 x 2 will look flimsy, especially against the 4 x 4 posts.

I presume you're putting a 4" timber on the posts (say a 4 x 6) to act as a plate/bearer? (see piccy)

You can get treated timber in any length up to about 7.5 metres (longer to special order!)

Timber is sold in multiples of 0.3 of a metre so....

2.4 / 2.7 / 3.0 / 3.3 / 3.6 / 3.9 / 4.2 / 4.5 / 4.8 etc etc
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005, 12:22am by JerryD »  

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: pergula design +(4x4 fixing)
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2005, 1:10am

i agree with jerry about the chunky looks

might also be worth scaleing the size down by 3" [width and length]this may allow more ecenomic use of lenghts of timbers as 10ft is 2"more than 3m and obviously 2.4m is nearly 2" less than 8ft Roll Eyes Wink

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print