Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 17th, 2024, 3:02am
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Domestic type of installation (Read 2717 times)
Flashbang

I've been P'eeeeeeed

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Domestic type of installation
Sep 19th, 2005, 1:21pm

Hi Guys
Sorry but I need some (very basic) advice please.
I have just moved into an eight year old 4 bedroomed house where the boiler appears to have a separate section above it and a dial (Gauge showing bar).Reading 1.2. The boiler is an Ideal Classic with the word "System" on the upper casing.  In the airing cupboard is a huge storage tank with mains water valves feeding to it (Though by the position of their taps I would say they are turned off - Showing across the pipe work). Plus all the usual flow and return pipe to boiler etc. There are no cold tanks in the loft!
All hot water seems to be at the same pressure as the cold mains water and showers are just wonderful!

Now, what system do I have? There seems no means of adding inhibitor to protect central heating and as I live in a hard water area how long is the boiler and storage tank likely to last?
Any other advice re this type of system?

Cheers
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2005, 4:39pm by Flashbang »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Domestic type of installation
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2005, 5:25pm

This is called a "System" boiler (short for "Sealed System).  There's an expansion vessel and no cold water storage tank.

It should run the hot and cold taps at about 3 bar (pressure reducing valve to control this).

Inhibitor can be put in through a rad bleed with a special gadget (rad turned off at both valves and drained first to allow space).

System boilers are the way to go imho.

An expert will be along shortly to say I'm completely wrong  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2005, 5:26pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2005, 7:32pm

More info from Ideal themselves here - http://www.idealboilers.com/system.html

Manuals available here - http://www.idealboilers.com/classic_se_details.html

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2005, 9:12am

Sounds similar to what we have except we have the water tank is underneath.  

Know as a mains pressues system.

The gauge probably measures the pressure in the rad circuit and is usually around 1.2-1.5 bar. There is a valve that when opened allows mains water into that loop to adjust the pressure (we never have to touch it).

For hot water... Mains pressure water comes into the house and direct to the tank under/over the boiler. No header tank required as the whole hot water system operates at mains pressure. Somewhere there should be a relief valve so that if anything goes wrong (say the mains pressure increases or the boiler boils the water) the whole lot won't explode. The relief valve is usually set at around 3 bar and should have a discharge outlet somewhere.

My guess is that the old tank is just that - an old one not in use since the boiler was changed.

I believe "system" essentially means the pump for the primary and rad loop is built into the boiler so you don't need one elsewhere.

Colin (not a plumber)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print