Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 8:22am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concrete floor removal (Read 8482 times)
MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Concrete floor removal
Sep 21st, 2005, 3:08pm

Hi,

I have a house built sometime between 1750 and 1810, so no dpc installed.  Part brick, part stone.

At some time in the more recent past, one of the rooms has had a concrete floor installed, I presume for damp reasons - theres an injected dpc as well but it doesnt work.   The concrete also blocks air flow under other floors in the house.
And the concrete is damp so I presume that if there is a membrane in it it has degraded/failed.

I am thinking of taking up the concrete, reinstating air bricks and flow, and putting a wooden floor down.

Does this make sense ?  How deep is the concrete likely to be ?  Im a bit concerned about what the foundations might or might not be like and undermining my own house.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Concrete floor removal
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2005, 4:28pm

The concrete is likely to be 100-150mm thick but there may be a screed on top of this so another 50-75mm.  Under the screed you will probably find some hardcore, to determine the total depth lift a floorboard in an adjacent room to see what the space is under the floor as it is likely to be the same in all rooms. Provided you don't excavate below this level there should be no risk to the foundations which will probably not be that deep.

Depending on the span wall to wall you will need to replace any honeycomb sleeper walls to support the ends of the joists as well as at regular intervals. Place a DPC onto these sleper walls, don't build the joists into the walls, use tanalized timber and either traditional floorboards or chipboard/plywood flooring.

Jason

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2005, 5:59pm

Just to add to what Jason said, if you are unable to fit deep joists because of space under them, then you can use smaller joists (say 47 x 100) but you will need more sleeper walls to support them.

You should put a 50-75mm minimum concrete oversite over the dirt below the joists and leave a 150mm gap between the top of this oversite and the underside of the new joists.

Hope this makes sense.

IP Logged

MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2005, 7:18pm

Thanks Gents,

I was worried that it might be a deep layer of concrete that would take ages / cost loads to remove.  That depth doesnt sound too bad.  I am planning a 'proper' floorboard floor, apparently I can pop over to France and buy very nice chestnut floorboards as cheap as the chipboard stuff.

One question Jerry, why do I need to put a layer of concrete down?  Or do you mean under the joist supports ?

Thanks

Mark

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2005, 7:27pm

It seals the ground from the inside of the building.  Really it is a weed suppressant.

That is the requirement on new-build.

As you say, it will also form a base for the sleeper walls too (I'd go a bit thicker than 75mm here, say 100mm min)

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2005, 7:30pm

Quote:
.. apparently I can pop over to France and buy very nice chestnut floorboards as cheap as the chipboard stuff.

Do let me know if you find any good bargins.

Colin (in Belgium right now but building in the UK)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2005, 8:11pm

Thanks for the clarification Jerry.

Colin,  
At the moment I dont have a source, but on another forum a girl was asking about how to stain chestnut to look like oak.  So when asked why, they had bought the chestnut floor from a timber merchant in France.  Apparently its (a) cheap and (b) doesnt get woodworm.  

I had it confirmed by a guy who has a house out there that they do use chestnut for floors and its cheap.  I'm not at the point of doing more detail yet.  But all the cheaper but reasonable quality wooden worktop places seem to use european suppliers.  Theres a place down in london that does very cheap oak parquet(sp?) (25/sqm or so) sourced from europe.

Mark

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2005, 3:08pm

Hi,  back with a further question.

Ive started breaking the floor up in one corner (so I can hide it behind the sofa when the mrs gets in)  It seems like its just a skim.  the depth of concrete varies (over about 2sq m)  from 2" down to about 1" some has hard core under and some doesnt.  Its all sitting on a polythene membrane which seems to have soil under it.
The wall at a depth of 2 inches changes from being good brick to stone/brick and is rough rather than smooth finished.  This isnt a load bearing wall, btw, it only has floorboards above it and the beams go through it and over the adjacent passageway before terminating in a solid wall.

I have not yet taken the wooden floor up in the next room.

Would it be likely that this fllor would have originally been stone / tile laid on soil?  I cannot see that I will be digging out enough to put a wooden floor down after all.

thanks

Mark

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2005, 8:39pm

I can't answer your question but.. When I was at a show earlier in the year I picked up a sample of oiled oak flooring from Barnham & Sons:

18mm thick
180mm wide
"Country" grade (=some knots etc)

The price I wrote down on the back was £26-£28 per square meter which seems ok.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2005, 10:23am

Colin,

I can beat that fairly easily.

have a look on http://www.salvoweb.com  then go into the for sale section.  You have to wade through a lot of stuff but there is good quality oak flooring from £15/m².  
Obviously depends what you want, new or reclaimed, oak/elm/pine/etc, boards, strip, parquet, etc.  but there is both reclaimed and new on here.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print