Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 12:53pm
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bathroom Floor (Read 3671 times)
AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Bathroom Floor
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:29pm

Hi,

I'm about to tile my bathroom floor and am after some advice.    The floor is currently standard T&G timber floorboards (on joists at 450mm centres, if I remember correctly).  I am going to install an electric underfllor heating mat as well.  My idea is as follows:

Screw biggest sheets possible of 1/2" ply to floorboards.  Overlay this with Auquapanel or Marmox (I think that's what they're called) concrete sheets, again screwed down using the proper fixings.  Apply a layer of flexible adhesive and bed heating mat into this.  Apply further layer of flexible adhesive and affix tiles to this.  Finally, grout with fexible grout.

I know I've read several posts on this site whih all seem to say that you need to use 18 or even 25mm ply on the floor.  The reason I don't want to do this is that with the added thickness of the concrete sheeting (used to prevent most of heat from heating mat simply being absorbed by wooden floor), this would take the floor level way above the height of the carpet the other side of the bathroom door.  I'm hoping that the combination of 1/2" ply and 12mm (I think) concrete sheet should be enough to provide a stable surface for the tiles.

What do you think?

Also, would you lay the ply and concrete sheet layer over the whole floor (i.e. under the shower, bath, etc.) or just over the areas that are actually going to be tiled?

It's a tiny bathroom (about 2.4m x 1.8m) so cost isn't really the issue - I just want to do the best job I can.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2005, 11:29pm by AndyOlds »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Bathroom Floor
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2005, 7:54am

Unless you have very large tiles or they are natural stone you could do away with the ply.

Screw the existing floorboards down if they are only nailed at the moment.(assume timber not chipboard)

They bed Aquapanel in flexible adhesive onto the floorboards and screw down at 200cts.

Set the heating Mat in Bal Multibase

Fix tiles with Bal rapidset flexible & grout with Superflex wide joint grout.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2005, 12:42pm

Jason,

Thanks mate - a very comprehensive reply.  What adhesive would you recommend for bedding the Aquapanel on?

Also, would you lay this over the entire floor (i.e. under the bath, shower tray, etc.) or literally just the areas that will be tiled?  I assume that doing the entire floor would be best?

Cheers.

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2005, 5:20pm

As you are unlikely to be taking the heat & tiles under the bath & shower I would not take the Aquapanel all the way in, just enough to be hiden by the shower upstand & bath panel. Don't forget to allow for the extra height when fitting the bath, it's easier than trimming the bath panel.

Use the same rapidset flexible from BAL.

Have a look at page 17 on this pdf

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2005, 9:30pm

Thanks Jason.

So are you  sponsored by BAL then? Wink

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2005, 10:24pm

[quote author=AndyOlds  link=1127773752/0#4 date=1127853009]Thanks Jason.

So are you  sponsored by BAL then? Wink [/quote]

Who, JasonBal, never  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2005, 9:51am

we use 3/4 in t0 full inch and 1/2 inc cement board. thinset ply and cememt board and screw down with drywall screws or nail with calvanized nails. it is ready to go. and as you tile use flat part of trowell first on joints where boards meet. you wont need flex grout because the boards should not not move.  but if you already have it use it. and caulk baseboards  where it meets the floor. they make a matching sanded caulking (tec) make sure you pull the looks nicer toilets

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print