Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 10:17am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
skirting gap (Read 6765 times)
akuk
GDPR opt-out

skirting gap
Sep 28th, 2005, 7:57pm

I have noticed there is a gap between the edge of my floor and the skirting.  The gap is about one inch high and almost two inches deep.  I can see the damp course sheeting through the gap.  This goes all around the room.  Your advice, please, as to how and with what can I sort this out?  Many thanks.

IP Logged

splinter
GDPR opt-out

Re: skirting gap
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2005, 9:41pm

As you have just noticed thisgap I suggest you measure it again today.If it's any bigger you should vacatate the room as soon possible as it looks like you're floor is going to collapse at any time!!!!!!!! Wink

IP Logged

akuk
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2005, 9:47pm

[quote author=splinter  link=1127933872/0#1 date=1128026464]As you have just noticed thisgap I suggest you measure it again today.If it's any bigger you should vacatate the room as soon possible as it looks like you're floor is going to collapse at any time!!!!!!!! Wink [/quote]
As I got your post I moved to a rented property Cry... now, do you have any practical advice?

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2005, 9:47pm

Either that or the previous occupants took their laminate flooring & underlay with them Wink

Either take the skirting off and refix touching the floor or fit a nother thin skirting/strip of wood to the front of the ext'g skirting and fill the gap with exp foam.

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2005, 9:49pm by jasonB »  

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2005, 9:22am

AK the gap is normally caused by the original builder using wet timber for the floor joists, they are often stored outside and get soaking wet even though they were originally kiln dried Undecided (thats the joists not the builder Wink)

As the joist dries out it shrinks taking the whole floor down with it and creating the gap.

It usually blows half a gale underneath making the room impossible to heat.

If you want to remove the skirting, rather than fixing a moulding to the front, I would suggest you buy new skirting an inch or more wider than the existing, that way you will not have to re-decorate.

Keith
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2005, 9:23am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2005, 3:03pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1127933872/0#5 date=1128068575]AK the gap is normally caused by the original builder using wet timber for the floor joists, they are often stored outside and get soaking wet even though they were originally kiln dried Undecided (thats the joists not the builder Wink)
As the joist dries out it shrinks taking the whole floor down with it and creating the gap.
It usually blows half a gale underneath making the room impossible to heat.
If you want to remove the skirting, rather than fixing a moulding to the front, I would suggest you buy new skirting an inch or more wider than the existing, that way you will not have to re-decorate. Keith [/quote]Thanks for the reply and the explanation.  I feel that I need to provide more information: The room was a garage before, the access was via an internal connecting door from inside the house, going down a steep (about 10 inch).  

The floor was concret, when the work was done we made the garage part of the house by leveling the garage floor with the house floor by adding concrete.  The floor is as I said a concret floor covered with a carpet.  
The gap I can see is from the lower end of the skirting to the floor (about 1 inch), and than inside the wall, in a way that it looks like the wall is thinner in this area, (all around the room), the gap does not go lower than the floor but inside the wall.  
My question is what materal would be the most suitable, and if I can use ordinary cement would I just feel the gap with it and than plaster or it is more complicated?

BTW, you are right, this room is a cold room.
AK

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2005, 6:32pm

Sorry about that, Roll Eyes

The gap is usually caused by timber shrinkage but as you have no timber to shrink then it was either built this way or you may have some structural movement Undecided

If you want to just fill the gap then the previous advice is still sound. Dont use sand and cement, you may bridge the damp-proof course.

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2005, 8:56pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1127933872/0#7 date=1128101528]Sorry about that, Roll Eyes

The gap is usually caused by timber shrinkage but as you have no timber to shrink then it was either built this way or you may have some structural movement Undecided

If you want to just fill the gap then the previous advice is still sound. Dont use sand and cement, you may bridge the damp-proof course. [/quote]

Don't be sorry, you have been very helpfull!

I think that it was built like this, says something about the builder.  Angry
I don't think that this is a structural movement as we reinfoecd the foundations before the work was done, (just to be on the safe side), and the gap all around the room is in the same direction (in to out).
I could maybe find wider skirting but this will not solve the insulation issue, if as you say cement and sand is no good, what can I use to fill the gap, so to have a proper, (as possible), insulation? than I can cover it with the skirting, any how I will have to paint the room, (fixing some plaster cracks)
Thanks, AK

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2005, 10:02pm

If the room is really cold you could lay a floating insulated floor which takes about 41mm off the floor but makes an incredible difference.

Otherwise I would take off the old skirting buy some more, one inch wider, fill the gap with construction foam and immediately refit the skirting. If you are lucky, and the plaster is not damaged as you remove the skirting, you should have little decorating to do. Just run a bead of decorators caulk along the top of the skirting to fill the inevitable gaps.

IP Logged

splinter
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2005, 10:15pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1127933872/0#9 date=1128114172]If the room is really cold you could lay a floating insulated floor which takes about 41mm off the floor but makes an incredible difference.

Otherwise I would take off the old skirting buy some more, one inch wider, fill the gap with construction foam and immediately refit the skirting. If you are lucky, and the plaster is not damaged as you remove the skirting, you should have little decorating to do. Just run a bead of decorators caulk along the top of the skirting to fill the inevitable gaps. [/quote]
He is taking the piss woodsmith , ,
          He is saying it was a garage be fore now it is room .I doubt if there is a double skin of bricks .Why should there be for a garage ,nowonder it cold Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2005, 10:39pm

Splinter I live in a cow shed, the walls have sods of earth in them, the floor was sodden for 200 years in animal pee which causes rushing damp. I should be so lucky to live in a garage Grin

The fact he has a gap under the walls sugests he has some sort of inner skin, screwed or bonded to the existing wall.

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2005, 9:55am

[quote author=splinter  link=1127933872/0#10 date=1128114912]
He is taking the piss woodsmith , ,
          He is saying it was a garage be fore now it is room .I doubt if there is a double skin of bricks .Why should there be for a garage ,nowonder it cold Roll Eyes
[/quote]

splinter! you replied twice and both times your reply was very negative and unhelpfull... I think that the one who takes the piss is you...I know whose advice I don't need... Angry

Quote:
Posted by: woodsmith Posted on: Yesterday at 10:02pm If the room is really cold you could lay a floating insulated floor which takes about 41mm off the floor but makes an incredible difference.  

Otherwise I would take off the old skirting buy some more, one inch wider, fill the gap with construction foam and immediately refit the skirting. If you are lucky, and the plaster is not damaged as you remove the skirting, you should have little decorating to do. Just run a bead of decorators caulk along the top of the skirting to fill the inevitable gaps.

Thanks I will try this, it makes sense.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2005, 9:57am by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2005, 2:08pm

Last question on this issue, i found in my loft a roll of fiber loft insulating material, would this stuff suitable to insulate under the skirting?
Thanks
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2005, 2:08pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #13 - Oct 1st, 2005, 4:08pm

Last question Grin there is always room for one more Wink

I wouldn't use it, mainly because you will need to cut/tear it into small strips then push it into the gap and the the amount of fibres it will shed will irritate eyes as well as lungs. A can of foam should do the whole room for less than £10 not only does it insulate but it also seals the drafts.

One good precaution is to run some wide masking tape round on the carpet to protect it.

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:52am

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1127933872/0#14 date=1128179304]Last question Grin there is always room for one more Wink

I wouldn't use it, mainly because you will need to cut/tear it into small strips then push it into the gap and the the amount of fibres it will shed will irritate eyes as well as lungs. A can of foam should do the whole room for less than £10 not only does it insulate but it also seals the drafts.

One good precaution is to run some wide masking tape round on the carpet to protect it. [/quote]
Ok, sounds good to me, thanks again for your help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print