Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 3:04pm
Quote: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stupid Computers (Read 9798 times)
billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Stupid Computers
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:58pm

Whats wrong with my computer???????

I have been running for 2 days straight now in Safe mode as that's the only way I can get the thing to stay on for more than 2 minutes.  I've uninstalled just about every program I have(some won't go as windows installer is inaccessible in safe mode) and went into the msconfig and set only the basic things to run on startup.

The whole pc is clean from virii etc. At first i thought it was a hardware problem, as it would only hang when doing something fairly memory intensive, although never went to BSOD.  I could run the webcam for about 5 minutes and it would hang. As time went on the quicker it would crash on my ass, until during the last week or so it would just load windows to desktop and freeze there.

but now i am almost certain that it's a conflict as its been running fantastically in safe mode for 2 days.

I am seriously thinking about going back to linux now... any ideas people??

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Stupid Computers
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005, 10:32am

My brand new computer would shut it self down every 2 to 3 minutes FROM NEW!!

The guys from Evesham came out, replaced my memory, it's all good since!

Mine ran fine in safe mode as well - I thought that must mean it was software, not hardware......but wasn't the case!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2005, 5:36pm

Are there any on screen error messages or entries in the event logs after the crash? If using WinXP see...

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.

Look in the System and Application logs for error messages around the time of the crash. If there are several look at the first one.

There is a button that copies the error message to the clip board (so you can paste here) and sometimes even a link to a microsoft web page that offers a solution (rare in my experience).

Another place to look for warning exclamation marks is the device manager...

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System. Then on the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2005, 5:43pm

Memory test program here..

http://www.memtest86.com/

best download and burn the ISO image to CD then boot up with the CD in the drive to run it. If it doesn't boot the program then it's probably because the CD player isn't first in the BIOS boot order.

IP Logged

TekSupp

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2005, 7:03pm

Lock ups are always a difficult situation to resolve.  It could be software related, but could also be a hardware or even a driver issue.  Sometimes they are caused by software installations/removals which did not properly succeed.

First, try setting up a new user account from Safe Mode and log on using this.  This has been known to solve lock ups, but its very difficult to explain why this works in such a small space Grin

By far the easiest way to troubleshoot this, would be to borrow a spare hard disk from somewhere, and try and install a fresh copy of the operating system onto it.  The disk must be formatted to ensure it's clean.  If the
install succeeds, then it's definitely a software problem which we can look at further.

If it fails, there is a hardware issue.  In the event of it failing, try to install with nothing except the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected (no USB, no network, etc).  If possible remove all PCI cards apart from the
graphics controller and (if appropriate) remove all but the minimum required RAM.  Also disconnect slave devices such as CD's and secondary hard disks [You can copy the operating system CD content to the hard disk which is preferable].

If it will install in this configuration, you can add things back until it starts to lock up again, at which point you will then know which item is at fault.

If in the minimal configuration, the PC still locks up continuously, you could have a faulty RAM, Motherboard, Graphics controller, hard disk, or CPU and in this case, the age of the system dictates the next step.

If you would like further advice on the above, I strongly suggest you post a more detailed system configuration (CPU type, RAM, Operating system, etc).  It will then be far easier to assist you.

Hope this is of help.  Best of luck...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2005, 9:20pm

locked up in safe mode today. the pc is a few years old now and i've been wanting some new stuff, namely decent video and sound cards and more RAM. think i'll just get a new MB memory, processor and vid/sound cards and stick the hard drives in those.

thanks for the advice guys.

in the event viewer there are hundreds of errors for DCOM under system...

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:      DCOM
Event Category:      None
Event ID:      10003
Date:            18/09/2005
Time:            21:29:10
User:            N/A
Computer:      CAPRICORN
Description:
Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is:
{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
The user is Unavailable/Unavailable, SID=Unavailable.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

as for application there are loads of errors, including application hangs form most of my commonly used programs, from avg to winamp! as well as a few errors all relating to COM+...

Event Source:      EventSystem
Event Category:      (50)
Event ID:      4609
Date:            19/08/2005
Time:            22:43:04
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

stupid bloody computer, time for a clean out i reckon...
i've cleared all the events so just need to wait for the next crash now... watch this space lol

btk
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2005, 9:22pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TekSupp

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2005, 10:41pm

Hmmm - If it locks up in safe mode, it could also be a cooling issue.  Have you checked that the CPU fan and PSU fan are all running clear?  Perhaps you have a program on the motherboard CD that will tell you the temperature your system is running at?

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but if you buy a new motherboard, you may not just be able to stick the hard disk in and expect all to run as normal.  XP and 2000 have a lot of low-level system drivers which object strongly when certain hardware is changed.  For example, moving from a motherboard based on a VIA chipset to one using nForce is sure to stop windows loading at all.

Of course, re-installing Windows will sort that out - but a format may still be necessary.

With regard to the DCOM error - do you use Microsoft office by any chance?

If so, this may help:
1. Exit all running programs.  Create a restore point and/or backup your registry.
2. Start REGEDIT and delete the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

3. Exit Registry Editor and repair or reinstall Office.

NOTE:  Please ensure you backup your data first.  I have never had a problem using the above in the past, but I cannot guarantee the same for yourself.

Finally, the COM+ error is reasonably common.  It is usually simply caused by you running in safe mode, where networking services will faily to operate correctly.  If the problem continues in operating mode, then the following can help:  remove either XP SP2 or 2000 SP4.  Wait for 24 hours, then re-apply the service pack.  Do not do anything with the PC while the service pack is installing.  This can cause the installation to 'race' and this is where such bugs can be introduced.

Hope this will be of some help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2005, 11:12pm

teksupp where have you been for the past year dude, welcome to the forum!

Will get right on all that and see how it goes, i am pretty sure the cooling is fine...

i understand that windows doesnt like you to change hardware, and I dont really mind doing a clean install afterwards, I keep all my installation files so anything I use can be re-installed. That's if I stick XP on again, chances are it'll be some dual boot thing when I'm done, anyhow for today I'm done with the PC... lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 1:27pm

Google suggests the DCOM error (with server {00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
has a number of different causes.

One suggestion is an external attack. This poster cured the problem by installing ZoneAlarm..

http://www.highdots.com/forums/windows-xp-help/dcom-error-id-10003-a-1420294.htm...

It sounds like something nasty is trying to use DCOM to create a document. See also this thread..

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread...

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 5:42pm

ok just crashed, here's the events...

Appplication...

Event Source:      VSS
Event ID:      8193
Date:            02/10/2005
Time:            17:39:34
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80040206.

Data:
0000: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43   WRTWRTIC
0008: 32 31 30 37 00 00 00 00   2107....
0010: 57 52 54 57 52 54 49 43   WRTWRTIC
0018: 32 30 37 32 00 00 00 00   2072....

Event Source:      EventSystem
Event Category:      (50)
Event ID:      4609
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

and system....

Event ID:      10005
Time:            17:39:53
User:            NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Event ID:      10005
User:            NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

i cant repair msoffice in safe mode as the windows installer isnt accessible.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:16pm

Try..

Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> double click "Services"

See what the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service) is set to. Normally it's set to "Manual"

IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:16pm

I would run memtest as posted above then try booting any linux livecd and doing intensive stuff to verify the hardware is OK.

How do you know you havent been compromised ?

what version of windoze and are you fully patched ?

If you do replace it I would go with amd socket 939.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2005, 4:17pm

its definately hardware.

formatted the hard drives and running FC3 now

stupid thing took about 6 attempts to get an OS on! lol

still crashing sporadically.

have changed memories and still crashing, trip to the computer store is in order methinks.

thanks for all the helpful advice guys, you all kick ascii!

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TekSupp

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2005, 7:37pm

Ah - at least we know it's hardware now then.

One last thought before you head to the shops.  I have sometimes come across PC's which have BIOS problems which are not easy to see.  Removing the CMOS battery for 2 mins, then going to the BIOS setup and loading "performance defaults" will sometimes resolve lockups and situations where OS installations fail.  Probably worth a go if the boards due to be retired!!

If this doesn't help - best of luck with your upgrades Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2005, 8:00pm

Might also be worth having a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. There have been reports of a faulty batche(s) finding their way into PC about two years ago. The faulty caps bulge and/or leak electrolyte.

IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2005, 11:12am

teksup's first post about cooling and power is good.
Can you monitor the cpu temp and the voltages ?
Have you stuck any exrta stuff in recently that might have taken the power requirements up ?  Whats the rating of the psu?

Something that has worked for me in swapping mobos is to create a duplicate hardware profile.  then before swapping the mobo remove all the mobo drivers and install the ones for the new mobo in one of the profiles.  just tell it you will reboot later untill you are done.  then switch the hardware and boot choosing the hardware profile you just modded.

it has the advantage that you can always revert to the old hardware without system loss if there are problems.

I have managedf a via -> nforce 2 swap with this.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2005, 9:35pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1128117531/0#14 date=1128711612]Might also be worth having a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. There have been reports of a faulty batche(s) finding their way into PC about two years ago. The faulty caps bulge and/or leak electrolyte. [/quote]
100 points that man, now i gotta prostitute the missus to pay the "release" on the thing. now, any suggestions for MB/Memory etc, combos??

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print