Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 7:24am
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is an ICA in brickwork any good? (Read 7903 times)
warreng
GDPR opt-out

Is an ICA in brickwork any good?
Nov 22nd, 2005, 6:57pm

when i finish this course i will get an ICA (intermediate construction award) but many people at the same college who are doing an NVQ say that an ICA isnt worth hardly anything and i would not be able to get on a site with this... so i was wondering if anyone has got this award and knows anything about it and what you can achieve from it...

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: Is an ICA in brickwork any good?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:03am

I've never heard of an ICA  ???

If you came to one of my sites for a job as a bricklayer, my first question would be "How long have you been bricklaying"

you would then be on a day's trial

I'd be watching ya!

I've sacked people within 2 hours of starting before now  Grin

IP Logged

warreng
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:07pm

so how much experience do you look for?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:26pm

http://www.citb.co.uk/publications/catalogues.asp?c=1084

says...

"An Intermediate Construction Award (ICA) generally relates to NVQ Level 2"

and

http://www.citb.co.uk/publications/product.asp?p=276&c=1084

"This booklet explains what holders of a Construction Award need to do to achieve an NVQ in their chosen occupation. It gives details of the additional assessment required, how employers can help, and a brief summary of the NVQ units needed."

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:54pm

[quote author=warreng  link=1132685821/0#2 date=1132758467]so how much experience do you look for? [/quote]

All depends on what work it is.  We once built a pharmaceutical H/Q where all brickwork had to be perfect.  Maximum tolerance was ± 1mm per 1500mm on gauge and ALL perps had to be EXACTLY plumb. All joints were raked out to 10mm (not 9mm or 11mm but 10mm!)  There were squints, cants, dentils, buttresses etc (very fancy building but too OTT for my tastes)

Not a job for unskilled brickies.

Lots of guys can learn by running in jack walls etc.  This teaches speed if not accuracy.

At the end of the day I look for perfection in a guy I want to do setting out and important facework.  He has to be neat and quick.  For this he can earn in excess of £1000 a week.  Lesser brickwork requires less skills so a 'reasonable' brickie would manage £600 - £700 a week.

Some guys I've worked with have been at it for years and are still hopeless.  Slow, rough, unreliable and unable to set-out.

You never stop learning imho.

It took me about 4 years full time to get 'good' (that was over 25 years ago!) so it's not an easy thing to master but you never lose that skill.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2005, 5:23pm

Basically an ICA is an NVQ without the work experience. So an ICA isn't worth much when employers are looking for proper experience. The practical work in the ICA doesn't count for much, it needs to be site based for an NVQ. And they have to be NVQ level 2 and above to be worth anything too.

I'm on a FCA (Foundation Construction Award) in woodworking at the moment. In Jan, I'm progressing to my ICA, and then next year I can go to an ACA (Advanced). At any stage I can take an equivalent NVQ by showing site based skills, which means producing evidence that I've done proper work, not just for friends and family. Some of the evidence is a bit silly such as showing that you've filled in timesheets, but they are aimed at 16yr old apprientices! Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

warreng
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2005, 4:15pm

ok so how can you get on a site in the first place if you havent got an NVQ? i cant just go and work on a site and then take a picture of a wall and say thats the evidence...

also how much evidence do you need? how much actual experience are they looking for?

if not that...what if you just did a whole modern apprenticeship course with a company? this will allow you to train on a site as well as go to college and you will achive an NVQ....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2005, 5:06pm

That leaflet I posted sounds like it explains what's required..

http://www.citb.co.uk/publications/product.asp?p=276&c=1084

"This booklet explains what holders of a Construction Award need to do to achieve an NVQ in their chosen occupation. It gives details of the additional assessment required, how employers can help, and a brief summary of the NVQ units needed."

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2005, 7:47pm

Quote:
All depends on what work it is.  We once built a pharmaceutical H/Q where all brickwork had to be perfect.  Maximum tolerance was ± 1mm per 1500mm on gauge and ALL perps had to be EXACTLY plumb. All joints were raked out to 10mm (not 9mm or 11mm but 10mm!)  There were squints, cants, dentils, buttresses etc (very fancy building but too OTT for my tastes)

crikey jerry you wouldn't wqant some of the brickies that i have seen on sites round here then Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

done a new school bout 6 years ago they got fed up knocking walls down to rebuild them cos they were out of square. in the large open area the walls were so far out of square they had the ground fixed hard to the wall at the bottom but had 2*2 + packers at the top about 10 ft high if i remember correctly.metal conduit came down the surface of the block and off set into the raggle at the bottom for the low level sockets Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2005, 9:06pm

[quote author=scotspark  link=1132685821/0#8 date=1133034430]

crikey jerry you wouldn't wqant some of the brickies that i have seen on sites round here then Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

[/quote]

Ah but this job wasn't without lots of tears.  Many walls and piers had to be demolished during construction when Clerk of Works came round to inspect.  He put his little gauge rod against the brickwork and a big chalk cross would appear if 'condemned'.  This was so boring to work on, laying about 200 bricks per day and completely stressed out about it!  The hoddies were bored too, nothing much for them to do so they ended up on the Clipper saw cutting bricks as required.

This was all done on daywork btw, it cost the company millions I reckon and now (it's about 20 years old) it just looks like any other old office building  Sad

All that effort..............................  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2005, 10:41pm

[quote author=warreng  link=1132685821/0#6 date=1133021717]ok so how can you get on a site in the first place if you havent got an NVQ? i cant just go and work on a site and then take a picture of a wall and say thats the evidence... [/quote]

If you're a mature person then its a bit of chicken and the egg situation. NVQs are all geared up for 16yr apprienctices. If you're lucky you might find a company that will take you on and allow you to gain evidence for an NVQ and not be so bothered about the lack of an NVQ. I'd try smaller companies. At the very least you'll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card from the CITB for the larger companies. This tells the company that you know you're health and safety stuff. You should get this card via your college, I'm getting mine in Dec sometime.
http://www.citb.co.uk/cardschemes/whatisacardscheme/

[quote author=warreng  link=1132685821/0#6 date=1133021717]also how much evidence do you need? how much actual experience are they looking for? [/quote]

Not much evidence really, just proof that you have done the practical work and also some other little bits and pieces which are geared up for the 16yr olds.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print