Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I be worried ? (Read 3813 times)
MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Should I be worried ?
Mar 4th, 2006, 3:21pm

Hi,

Should I be worried about this chimney breast ?

http://www.snowdon.org/pic1.JPG

Situation is - there used to be a gas fire in this chimney breast, fed from a bottle outside.

I took the gas fire out (occupied the space filled by the bench) and was surprised that there was no lintel.  Had a look up the chimney and could see an old arch.  

Now I've stipped the plaster away to find that there is a large old fireplace - I presume that it held a range at some point.  which has been blocked up in two phases.  Some of the blocking up is right into the chimney but the bit under the arch is single skin, unsupported (other than by that bit of timber I've just put in) and as you can see the bricks at the top just lift out.

How do I decide if the arch is sound and safe ?  
It looks it.
What I want to do is take out the single skin of bricks - wont be difficult- build up the blue bit of brick up to the arch, and stick a wood burning stove in the arched alcove - which seems original.  

Oh, and I'm going to need a plasterer - anyone in Ripon ?

thanks

MArk

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Should I be worried ?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2006, 12:55am

Hi, i know JD will probably give you a better, more detailed answer than i, but is there by any chance a flat bar, which the original arch is resting on to the rear of the bricks, as there sometimes is! and also, providing the motar between the bricks of the arch, is nice and tight then you should not have a problem!but you could while building the L/h wall up to the arch, put in a steel plate asa discribed above, (if there is not one hidden in there anywhere!)  just to be on the "over cautious" side of things, usually these kind of openings are either totally gone, ready to come down, or still well strong!!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2006, 3:11pm

The arch looks tatty but appears structurally ok from what I can see but only you can tell if the bricks are held solid in the arch.

As Wolf says, a metal bar is often found supporting this type of arch but not always.  I would like to see some kind of metal support under the arch, it can't ever collapse then.

Getting a flat metal bar made for this shouldn't cost more than £30 or so if you know where to go.  You'll need to make a template (to get the shape) to take to the steel suppliers though. (small sheet of hardboard would do).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2006, 6:18pm

thanks Jerry and Wolf.

Things have gone a bit further - most of the infill wasn't sound, so thats all gone as well.  So I'm back to where the original builders started 200 odd years ago.  The arch holds all the bricks soundly, and the two pillars/side bits are sound.  Its just the newer stuff which seems to collapse when looked at.

Thats a good point about a metal support.  Theres a structural / architectural steel place I know in Harrogate, would that be the sort of place ?  I think Kendrew or Kenwick or something ?

Thanks

Mark

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2006, 8:18pm

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2006, 10:51pm

Catnic will charge hundreds for a 'one off', they may possibly be not interested at all?  Also, last time I enquired about a 'special' it was minimum 8 week wait!

I have a local 'blacksmith' who supplies rsj's, sheet steel, steel fabrication, iron railings, metal gate manufacture etc., all custom made.  That's the sort of guy you want for this.  Probably start with a length of 8mm x 40mm flat, heat it up and bend to shape.

It's easy for them with the right equipment. (and know how!)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2006, 11:20pm

and if anything like my local smitthy, a bloody big lump 'ammer!  Grin i love visiting him, especially on a cold day!!!!! ummmm!! nice and warm!!!!! Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print