Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 12:11pm
Quote: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plastering and trigger finger (Read 6213 times)
greenstratman
GDPR opt-out

plastering and trigger finger
Jun 9th, 2006, 8:11am

hello,

just stumbled upon this brilliant forum and am hoping someone may be able to help.

i've just started plastering and have developed trigger finger.  which is a condition where it is difficult to bend the finger and when you try to straighten it back up it is, again, difficult and snaps straight with a click.  it is caused by a lump on the tendon and this lump catches on the tendon sheath.  i'm just about to have a cortisone injection to treat it.

any other plasterers get this??  if so how did you treat it?

having read a few threads on this site, i've a feeling that the possible cause is the way in which i've been taught to plaster.  did one of these intense courses.  to be honest, it was fairly crap.  they had you slap the plaster any old how, which is ok first coat, but then they had you leave the flattening until after the second coat has been applied and gone off.  this is quite strenous work and is hard on the fingers, so i have started very quickly flattening the fist coat as it goes off to reduce flattening later on.

any advice on protecting yourself from over-use injuries would be most welcome.

many thanks

kevin

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: plastering and trigger finger
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2006, 5:21pm

Hi Greenstratman, and welcome to this here forum!!
i believe our resident SPREAD is away on hols/or honeymoon at te mo,butno doutsomeone like JD will be along later today, and may be able to give you some more/advice!
regards Matt (wolf)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2006, 5:25pm

Well my advice is to get someone else to do the plastering  :-D :-D

Ha ha I hear you say.........................  Roll Eyes

Sorry mate, not heard of this problem. I avoid plastering like the plague, it's one of the most physical aspects of construction work (even more physical than joinery  Roll Eyes Tongue)

Robbo is the man you want but he's probably at one of his many overseas properties sunning himself.

(yes, plasterers can earn shed loads............)

and welcome to the forum  Kiss
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2006, 5:26pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2006, 9:23pm

No Jerry, the eighteen bedroom Villa in Italy is currently being painted gold, and the caravan in Skegness has a broken window and a flat tyre Undecided, so am here in Mayo enjoying the unusually fabulous sunshine. Wolf I still have one more month of freedom Grin...Blackpool next weekend for the stag,whey hey!
Welcome greenstratman Smiley I am sitting here with my hands sore and blistered, my back broken, my eyes stinging and a sore ankle that hasnt healed properly in six months after a solid  month of rendering., Why did you want to become a plasterer??? ???
You have to find methods and practices that ease the burden you put on your body in this game, the fact is really, a good experienced spread makes the job look easy, an apprentice or an improver is awkward in their working practices without the benefit of experience, just as in any heavy trade. I have seen plasterers that make twice the work for themselves because no one has ever shown them a better, easier way of doing things. A start is certainly to employ the correct way to skim that wont knock the bol**cks out of you, if you come back on I will be glad to swap notes with you.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greenstratman
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2006, 10:12pm

cheers chaps.

yeah, robbo i'd be glad of any help/tips that you may be able to pass on.  i take it you never had trigger finger then?  in fact my doctor said he only saw one case a year.  whereas the some net articles make out its a widespread problem.

i chose to have a bash at plastering because i'm pi$$ed off with my call centre job!!  and there isn't a massive outlay in tools and the price of the course will more than cover the cost of plastering my house!!

i've been reading through the archive and found some really useful tips already.

i tend to make a separate mix for each coat, which is what we were shown on the course.  but a mate of mine says he finds it best to get both coats out of one mix.  which is best??

also, i read that pva can be used as a retardant.  are there any draw back to this??

when skimming over bonding coat, can you just put one coat of skim over the damp bonding, rather than letting the bonding go off all together and then uni bonding it?

thanks very much and like i say any other help that you might like to offer would be greatly apprecheated.

cheers

kevin
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2006, 10:20pm by grenstratman »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2006, 10:19pm

I used to get cramp while plastering, I had a Tysak wooden handled trowel and I was having to grip it too hard. Got a rubber handled Marshalltown and problem solved.

IP Logged

greenstratman
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2006, 10:24pm

hi woodsmith, yeah i have a rubber handled marshalltown trowel.

i might try putting cork cushioned bike handle bar tape around the handle to make it bigger.  i have quite big hands.

where abouts in shropshire are you woodsmith??  i'm from telford originally.

cheers

kevin
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2006, 10:34pm by grenstratman »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2006, 9:18am

[quote author=greenstratman  link=1149837069/0#6 date=1149888245]
where abouts in shropshire are you woodsmith??  i'm from telford originally.
[/quote]

About 6 miles south of Shrewsbury, in the back of beyond Grin

Changing the shape of the handle sounds a good idea, try a few other trowels one might suit you better. I have tennis elbow and I have one particular hammer that sets it off

if you know what I mean Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greenstratman
Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2006, 10:10am

ah well you see.  that's your mistake.  playing tennis with a hammer :-D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2006, 10:18pm

[quote author=greenstratman  link=1149837069/0#8 date=1149930607]ah well you see.  that's your mistake.  playing tennis with a hammer :-D [/quote]

lol  Grin

looks like you'll fit in well here!

Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2006, 11:21pm

[quote author=greenstratman  link=1149837069/0#8 date=1149930607]ah well you see.  that's your mistake.  playing tennis with a hammer :-D [/quote]

It helps me "nail" the opposition

Roll Eyes  Grin

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2006, 11:56pm

This i can just imagine, W/S on his Tennis racket putting in 3" ring shanks.. while Molly has his Paslode!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

oops!! :duck: :duck: :duck:

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print