Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 12:30pm
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RSJ installation (Read 6530 times)
ronb
GDPR opt-out

RSJ installation
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:27pm

In order to get more hight in my loft conversion is it ok to cut through the first floor ceiling joists so that the rsj sit lower ,then strap the ceiling joists back up to the new loft floor joists? aprox 200mm(width) needs to be cut, the first floor ceiling will be supported on acro's whilst this is done, the existing ceiling joists and the new floor will run parrallel with each other, Ill also need to fire proof the existing ceiling joists with rockwool over chicken wire, is it acceptable to compress the rockwool      

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Re: RSJ installation
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2006, 2:56am

What does it show on your plans ?

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2006, 7:59pm

It's difficult to give an opinion on this without seeing the layout or the drawings.

Why not ask whoever drew the original plans?

IP Logged

ronb
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2006, 11:54pm

The plan shows the rsj sitting above the ceiling joists, but know that the rsj is in place i have measured the new ceiling hight and it works out to 2120mm as apose to the plan it should be 2200mm,the rsj in question is a 152x152uc37which supports the new floor between 2 outer rsj's, theres also a stud wall on the first floor which will be under the longest span between rsj's approx 3.5m, i hope this makes sense ?

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 8:11am

Well as far as I can understand this, it all sounds as if you could lower this rsj as you want.  You are not changing any of the loadings are you?

It is essential that you fix all the cut timbers back to the rsj properly.  Often the best way is to shot-fire timber infills to the webs of the steel and then 'Jiffy' the joists onto this timber infill. The Jiffy straps should be long enough to wrap over the steel and be shot-fired into it on the top.

Don't forget though, if you are cutting a section out of the existing ceiling joists then the strapping effect that these joists have on the roof will be lost (at least temporarily).  This could cause your existing roof to spread (rafter feet move outwards) so you must take all possible precautions to stop this happening.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2006, 8:13am by JerryD »  

IP Logged

ronb
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2006, 11:23pm

Point taken JD thank's for your input

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print