Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roof insulation (Read 6042 times)
MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Roof insulation
Jun 29th, 2006, 5:15pm

Im confused.  No change there then.

OK, in the old days if I want to insulate an attic it was easy - just a layer of rockwool.

Then people say kingspan / cellotex are the bees knees.

Then Im told that triIso9 etc are brilliant and easy and better.  But I have to be carefull about condensation.

Then  I read this http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum/index2.php?DATEIN=tpc_wlpssdlpg_114280...
(which takes ages)

Soooo

What do I put in the roof and in what order and do I seal it or not?

Do I put aluminium foil on the tile side or the attic side of rockwool ?  (Or do I go green and use thermofleece?) and what about ventillation ?

Help!

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: Roof insulation
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2006, 8:21pm

Are you trying to insulate the rafters to control the temperature in the loft or are you trying to insulate the bedroom ceiling level?

IP Logged

MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2006, 10:12pm

JD,

the attic has been converted - but its obvious from the temperature variation that they didnt bother to insulate properly.  So Im looking at what I can do between the roof and the plasterboard.

Bloody freezing in winter, boiling in hot weather.  I havent yet ripped down the plasterboard - but Im getting itchy fingers!

Roof structure is < 200 years old - big purlin and I assume reasonable size rafters.   Theres a velux and the wall?roof is about 8" thick at the velx.

thsnk

Mark

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2006, 10:22pm

Sounds like you need to Celotex between and under the rafters.

All the info you need is HERE

IP Logged

MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2006, 5:49am

thanks JD.  I'll give that a read.

So am I right in thinking that these foil/bubble things are not so hot  Roll Eyes

Looking at stuff there seems to be confusion between products which reflect heat and products which insulate.  TriIso9 (TriIso10 as it now is) looks to be a reflectant with a thin layer of insulation on the back.  

I hate building regs.

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2006, 7:55am

If it was my house I wouldn't use Tri-Iso.  There is nothing to beat Celotex (or Kingspan).  The only downside of Celotex is the space it takes up as you really need 125mm total thickness nowadays.

IP Logged

MarkS
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2006, 10:17am

thanks Jerry.

Ever used Thermafleece?  Any opinion?

http://www.secondnatureuk.com/info.htm

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2006, 11:37am

I have used the tri-iso once. Its a lot quicker to fix than cutting ridgid insulation betwen all the rafters. You should also only loose 25mm or wall/roof space due to the counter battens. Couple of pics of the job here.

As JD says if it were mine then I would go with the rigid insulation.

Jason
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2006, 11:38am by jasonB »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print