Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:04pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outdoor sockets and lights (Read 1689 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Outdoor sockets and lights
Oct 9th, 2006, 12:46am

My electrician isn't on site at the moment so can I ask you folks...

We made provision early on in our build to feed power out to some external wall lights and a mains socket. The coil of special mains cable  waiting to be laid when the electrician comes back.

My question is about the outdoor/waterproof socket itself. I looked on the web and saw MK have two types. One is just a socket and the other is a socket with a built in RCD.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Weatherproo...

When would you use one with a built in RCD? I mean isn't it mandatory to have an RCD in the CU for outside feeds? Is there any advantage in having two in series or do they interact to give false tripping?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Outdoor sockets and lights
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2006, 12:58am

don't think the wiring itself has to be RCD protected, portable appliances do, not sure about non-portable ones (but its a good idea to protect them)

putting two rcds in sequence is pretty pointless unless one is a time delay type.

putting outside sockets on the main house RCD is often done but a bad idea imo.

for a socket on the outside wall of the house my preffered way would be a RCD FCU indoors (fed from a non-rcd breaker in the CU), this will provide seperate RCD protection (less chance of accidently tripping all your sockets that way) and provide a conviniant place to isolate the socket to prevent electricity theft.

the time when outdoor rcd sockets are a good idea IMO is if the socket is a long distance from the nearest building, in a commercial environment RCD sockets also eliminate the issue of needing to get access to switchgear to reset RCDs.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Outdoor sockets and lights
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2006, 2:38pm

Thanks. Looks like I best wait for my electrician to come back to see what he recommends.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print