Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 4:28am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What lights for each room! (Read 2424 times)
nusku
GDPR opt-out

What lights for each room!
Oct 18th, 2006, 12:33am

More questions! Embarrassed

Having just moved into a 20 odd year old place that hasn't been touched since it was built I have a nice array of batten holder and pendant lights.

Not being the shortest person on the street I'm getting p'd off with hitting my head on the pendant lights!

I liked the idea of downlighters in the kitchen, hallway and bathroom as this is what we had in the previous place, but it seems these are now universally hated most places on the net!

Someone on another forum recommended the flou GU10 bulbs but as I said in my other thread the couple of suppliers I phoned said they are rubbish!

Now I'm completely confused and open to suggestions on what to have in the bathroom, kitchen, lounge, hallway, bedrooms.

Cheers!

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: What lights for each room!
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2006, 5:23pm

Quote:
Someone on another forum recommended the flou GU10 bulbs but as I said in my other thread the couple of suppliers I phoned said they are rubbish!

Now I'm completely confused and open to suggestions on what to have in the bathroom, kitchen, lounge, hallway, bedrooms.

Cheers!

In what way are they rubbish, I think they're excellent.  Cheap to run, no heat and now available in 11w (equivalent to 50w halogen)  Cheesy

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2006, 5:38pm

For the bathroom...

The Building regs divide the room up into zones depending on how close they are to bath/shower/basin etc. More here..

http://www.stopbox.co.uk/site/bathroom-lights-ip.htm

I'm planning on fitting these IP65 halogen downlights in my shower. They also meet the fire and sound regs without a seperate hood which is handy. They take a GU10 bulb but I haven't tried a GU10 fluorescent in them yet (fluorescent bulbs are longer than normal GU10 so they might not fit and/or the light spread might be different)

http://www.thelightingsite.com/flameguard.htm

Scroll down to "IP65 Flameguard Downlight Housing"

The bexel is sold seperately. The one shown above has a chrome bezel but you can get glass ones that spread the light out a bit more....

I'm going for the frosted glass bezel (GF005)
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2006, 5:45pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2006, 7:05pm

firstly, all downlights sold in the UK meet 1/2 hour fire check else they cant be sold, as for sound i dont know. but most ceilings dont have a rating other than minimum unless you have a flat or similar.

GU10S are good, all versions

LV are also good, more componants to fail though but different type of light, GU10 Mains can appear tinny

as for becoming hated, ere not fitting as many but still 20 odd a month minimum

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

nusku
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2006, 11:02am

Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the guy at the wholesalers said the flou ones have poor light output, whether they just havent looked at them fitted to judge this is another matter I suppose!

I think I am going to order a couple and see what they are like! Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print