Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 11:28am
Quote: Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Professional tiler has put wall tiles on a flo (Read 2833 times)
jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Professional tiler has put wall tiles on a flo
Jan 2nd, 2007, 5:37pm

Without seeing the tiles its hard to say, I have fitted ranges where the finish of the wall and floor tiles look almost identical but the floor ones are usually onto a porcelain bisc and the walls ceramic.

Who chose and selected the tiles, I assume the tiler was just asked to fit them?

The problem of cracking/loose tiles probably has little to do with the tile but more with the preparation of the floor and the type of adhesive used, can you give any more detail?

Jason

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:17am

Quote:
A so called professional tiler has put the same large shiny tiles on my mother in laws bathroom floor as he has put on her wall.  The grout has completely cracked/chipped away from the floor ones and the tiles are wobbling/loose.  I presume they are only wall tiles as they are shiny and understand that floor tiles should not be for safety reasons (it doesnt look safe at all).  i also know that floor tiles are thicker than wall tiles so am 99% sure they are definitely wall tiles.  Should she just get all tiles on floor removed and proper floor tiles put down or could she get away with it if the whole lot was refixed/regrouted with proper floor tile mixture.  Huh  thank you.

You can get extremely shiny floor tiles so that alone is not evidence that they are wall tiles.  As Jason says, who selected the tiles?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:22pm

Polished tiles are lethal when wet. We had some tiles in a bathroom that were matt and even they were very slippery when wet. I would consider having them removed or take out BUPA!

You mentioned they are on a bedroom floor - Is this a wooden first floor? Perhaps the floor simply wasn't rigid enough for tiles and the tiler didn't stiffen the floor correctly? Incorrect adhesive? As Jason says could be several reasons.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:24pm

See also this thread if it's a wooden floor..
http://www.askthetrades.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1164638092

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print