Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 7:38am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiling a conservatory floor (Read 2090 times)
lordy
GDPR opt-out

Tiling a conservatory floor
Jan 11th, 2007, 1:56pm

I'm looking to have my conservatory floor tiled, but don't feel confident enough to try it myself. I think the floor will need leveling as it has cracked slightly in the 8 years since being built. What would you expect a typical cost to be for a tradesman to level and tile an area of about 3m * 3m, and how long would this sort of job take.

Many thanks for you feedback.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Tiling a conservatory floor
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2007, 7:02pm

Leveling will not cure the crack, if it was just initial settlement then you may be OK.

Assuming th etwo halves of the room either side of the crack have not moved more than a few mm then any difference can be taken up with the adhesive.

That size room should be possible to tile and grout in one long day or pop back the second day to grout. So 1 to 1 1/2 days plus another 1/2 day if leveling is required. Labour rate will depend on where in the country you are but allow £250 a day and £50 will cover adhesive & grout. Natural stone will cost more as will small tiles random pattern etc.

Jason

IP Logged

lordy
GDPR opt-out

Re: Tiling a conservatory floor
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2007, 12:19pm

Thanks for that.. the crack is more of a settling issue I think, its sort of uneven height across the surface where it seems to have sunk slightly in places, mainly in the middle. To be honest I think the mixture they used orginally was too sandy as in places it is slightly crumbly. Interestingly its still under warrenty but the company will only come out and inspect it if I agree to pay the maintenance call out fee up front on, which would be refunded if it turns out to be  a proper valid warrenty claim!.. I don't want to pay someone to come and say, oh yes, floors do that over time.. thanks for the 100 quid fee, goodbye!

250 a day sounds fair. Need to find some tiles now. Looks like I should be able to get the whole job done, parts and labour for 7-800 then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print