Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 9:46am
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has the time come? (Read 4783 times)
RabbitRabbit
GDPR opt-out

Has the time come?
Aug 19th, 2007, 9:28am

To make all members pay a contribution to this forum to help keep it going or not?

Against:

If the idea is to have as many members as possible so that it, in theory, adds to the value of the forum then probably not a good idea. But it would be interesting to get some statistics on the lines of - how many members there are and how many of these members have made say more than 50 postings.

For:

It helps the cost of maintenance, hardware des and software needs upgrading (especially if it is running under MS Windows  :-D)

It keeps the crap out, like 90% of those over at Screwfix, the brainless morons.

IP Logged

Bodger Badger
GDPR opt-out

Re: Has the time come?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2007, 10:10am

how come youve arrived then wabbit  Grin Grin Grin Grin Tongue

IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007, 8:08pm

Cheeky ferker Bodger  Tongue

So far the idea seems to be doomed   Cry

IP Logged

Bodger Badger
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007, 12:14am

Quote:
Cheeky ferker Bodger  Tongue

So far the idea seems to be doomed   Cry

Smiley

IP Logged

Andyco11
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 7:31pm

Whilst i don't post a lot i do pop in and read

One thing i do on my forum is i have google add sense which pays me enough a year to cover my server cost and keep it free for all members perhaps you could do this to help with costs as it places topic specific adds on to you page and you get paid every time someone clicks through to it

Quote:
To make all members pay a contribution to this forum to help keep it going or not?

Against:

If the idea is to have as many members as possible so that it, in theory, adds to the value of the forum then probably not a good idea. But it would be interesting to get some statistics on the lines of - how many members there are and how many of these members have made say more than 50 postings.

For:

It helps the cost of maintenance, hardware des and software needs upgrading (especially if it is running under MS Windows  :-D)

It keeps the crap out, like 90% of those over at Screwfix, the brainless morons.

IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 8:15pm

Yeah, yeah but when you see statistics like -

Most Users ever online was 73 on Jan 11th, 2007, 1:04am
Most Guests ever online was 70 on Jan 11th, 2007, 1:04am

Thats' 3 ferking members and 70 blooming 'visitors'.
So OK 69 of the visitors were from the Inland Revenue checking up on us - make the bar stewards PAY I say  :-D

IP Logged

Andyco11
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 8:34pm

we also have slow periods like that but at the end of the day it only takes a hand full of members to click through to an add to get a payment and if they also buy something from the add they click through to you get a better payment rate

IP Logged

Andyco11
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 8:41pm

All so ask all members to add the forum URL to there signature line on any other forum they visit
As i am sure you are aware that crosslinking URLs in most cases is better than embedding key words in searches

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print