Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 9:17am
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tiling advice please (Read 2171 times)
dj-paul-c
GDPR opt-out

tiling advice please
Sep 13th, 2007, 7:27pm

ive bought natural stone tiles for my bathroom,,there 12" x 18" and 12mm thick

ive got about 20 sq metres on the walls in total and about 3 sq metres on the floor

how much would you expect as a ball park figure for a tiler to do the work with him buying the athesive and grout,,and if anyone knows a rough idea of the costs for athesive and grout for the job as i understand ill need a fair bit and its quite expensive

thanks for the help

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: tiling advice please
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2007, 7:45am

For a start 12mm is really a flooring thickness, 10mm will be better as your walls maynot be upto supporting the weight of the stone & adhesive.

Natural stone always takes longer that ceramic/porcelain because it all has to be machine cut, can vary in thickness and then the stone needs sealing before and after grouting.

Are there any wet areas (showers)that will require tanking, are the walls ready for tiling, does the sanitary ware need to be removed, number of openings, amount of external corners, does the floor need reinforcing to suit a tiled surface, etc etc.

It will also depend on where you are in the country, its probably going to take the best part of a week and say £250 for materials so maybe £1500 +VAT

Jason

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: tiling advice please
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007, 9:16pm

This is an UFH company web site but it gives you an idea what might be required and coverage info on tile adhesive..

http://www.floorheating.ltd.uk/tile-adhesive.php

Quote:
At 3mm bed thickness your will require 4.5kg material per m2 (Bmm=9kg material per m2).

Jasons timescales match ours. We had our bathroom done in travertine. We had wall mounted taps and and shower fittings that the tiler had to cut around. That probably added a day but then our floor was concrete so very little prep needed and that probably saved a day or two.

I think if you had an old bathroom to strip out or old tiles to remove you would need to add a day (two?) to strip and make good.

By the way the results look fantastic and we find the stone tiles don't seem to attract limescale like ceramic tiles do - or perhaps they hide it better!. I was worried about cleaning them not it's not as bad as I thought.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:17pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print