Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 2:24am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plaster - poor adhesion to render and painting (Read 1313 times)
crystal
GDPR opt-out

plaster - poor adhesion to render and painting
Oct 21st, 2007, 1:49pm

I have the following problems throughout my 1970s block and rendered internal solid walls:

1. Plaster separates from the render all too easily leaving a very soft cement render surface.
2. Tiles in all rooms are blowing off the render in sheets of tiles+plaster.
3. Steam wallpaper stripping merely causes the plaster to blow off the render.
4. Much of the emulsion paint on the walls flakes away from the plaster leaving large patches of bare plaster.

I would like best advice on how to:
1. Stabilise the revealed render surface ready for new for tiles.  I have applied 2 coats of PVA to seal the surface but will this give adequate adhesion/strength for tiling direct onto the render.  Should I apply a skim plaster coat first.
2. How can I remove wallpaper without steaming or bringing off large patches of paint.  I have heard of a chemical peel- any advice?
3. What is the best way of repainting the walls to result in an even painted finish?

Overal, what has caused this problem.  Was the render not mixed properly, or not left to dry before plastering? Did the blocks suck all the moisture from the render? Were the walls painted before the plaster was dry?

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: plaster - poor adhesion to render and painting
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2007, 7:24pm

Sounds like they skimped on the cement.

1. PVA is not a good sealer to use under tiles, it has a habit of coming back to life when wet. Given that the render is very friable I would hack the lot off and either get the walls re-rendered of dot & dab plasterboard to the walls which you can tiles straight onto (tank any wet areas eg showers)

2. Steam is the worst thing to use if your plaster finish coat is blowing. Get some wallpaper stripper polycell do one and mix this with water then use a small garden spray to apply to the wall, leave to soak in then use a heavy duty scraper with replaceable blades to scrape it off.

3. Apply a thin skim of easyfill to the walls, sand with a hand sanding pad. If you are lucky you can paint onto this if not then a layer of lining paper will be required.

Jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print