Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 1:11pm
Quote: What makes him think a middle aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics? - Ronald Reagan

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
part p - again - and council tax (Read 2604 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

part p - again - and council tax
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:48am

I have recently rewired the power circuits in my sons new house.  

An electrician friend who know my work then installed a fuseboard and tested everything. Building Kontrol were NOT involved. Good so far....

Now my son learns that he can get two months Council Tax back as the property  was unoccupied for that period, but he has to submit receipts to prove work done.  

Question - are they likely to drop me in it for doing the rewire?  Under part P I am allowed to replace a broken Circuit anyway - but I replaced it with four, one of which was a cooker Circuit........

Does 'competence' cover me on this - i.e. I am obviously competant to do the job because it has tested up o.k. ......

Regards

John D

IP Logged

RabbitRabbit
GDPR opt-out

Re: part p - again - and council tax
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2008, 5:26am

The worst thing that could happen would be that the inspector will insist on a registered spark doing a Periodical Inspection Report (PIR).

If that shows up any major problems (level 1) these would have to be rectified. If the work was not done to the labc's satisfaction then a, I think it is referred to as a distress warrant would be issued by the council where all the works would have to be removed and the whole lot redone.

Never ever heard of it ever happening anywhere in the UK regarding electrical work. I have come across it on new builds where no planning was authorised - as in the case of a very well known MP once in Kent, say.

I would not worry about it the chances of labc typing up the loose ends is just about zero. Something MAY come of it in the future when some future buyer of the property solicitors does a search but hey there will be plenty of those.

IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2008, 12:15pm

On the simple basis that council departments rarely if ever, cross reference anything you should get away with it.  

Example - next door neighbour carried out work that infringed not only my rights but planning law.  LABC guy was quite happy as it was in accordance with building regulations. In our local council they share the same office and head up to the same senior officer but do not pass info across desks - 'not my job sir' was the response I got.

IP Logged

Goodsparks
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2008, 1:39pm

The man in Revenues and Benefits who deals with your council tax is highly unlikely to even know of the existance of any other department outside of his own directorate, likewise with building control. So no, I wouldn't worry about it.  Wink

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2008, 3:05pm

Being pragmatic, how much Council Tax is he going to get back. If it's not a lot then is it worth all the potential hassle?  Dogs....sleeping.....lie.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2008, 9:56am

Note that you don't have to submit reciepts for work done. You just have to prove the house was unoccupied and unfurnished. If you can do that another way then that might save a lot of agro.  Was th furniture put in storage? Get a reciept for that. Was the meter read before and after? Removal mans bill? That sort of thing should be sufficient.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print