Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 1:40pm
Quote: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving a Kitchen Sink (Read 10387 times)
AndrewR
GDPR opt-out

Moving a Kitchen Sink
May 22nd, 2008, 12:07pm

I would like to move my kitchen sink.
It is presently situated directly above the rising main where it enters the house. The rising main "stop tap" is about 10-15cm above the timber suspended floor boards.
Because I would like to move the sink, it would mean me taking the cold water pipes down below the floor again directly adjacent to where it rises from the mains. Is this feasible, or is it possible/easier to re-site the rising main so that it enters the house under a different place? Would I have to get the water company out to re-site the rising main?

The reasons for this are that we are having free central heating installed under a Warmfront Grant, and the installers have told us that the only place they can put the boiler is if we move the sink, and they have refused to move the sink at the same time! So I need to do it.
Thanks,
Andrew

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Moving a Kitchen Sink
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 3:24pm

We all know that warmfront are the biggest load of crooks since they invented the central heating scheme, but this take the biscuit.

I refuse to believe the only place for the boiler is in the kitchen sink, Get on to the manager, if if that don't work your MP.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008, 8:18pm

sounds like this installer taking the easy option Roll Eyes water, drain etc nearby so lets shove it directly where the sink is!!!!

do exactly as scruff says!!

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2008, 7:39am

As the others say, ive never yet had to move a sink as there was nowhere else to fit the boiler - sounds as though they are suggesting a floor standing boiler ? Can't they site a wall mounted boiler?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2008, 9:36am

Basically the boiler needs an outside wall and the flue needs to be at least 600mm (I think) from an opening window or door. Ditto from a corner or boundary although I think that can be reduced to 300mm in some cases.

The boiler needs access to a drain for the condensate pipe to discharge into but I don't think there is a max distance...just make sure the pipe doesn't have to go past a door somehow.

edit:
Try this..
http://www.carryduffdesigns.co.uk/technical/gas-flue-outlet-positions.html
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2008, 9:37am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

AndrewR
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2008, 10:08am

The manager is coming out to assess it next week.
We were told that the only other alternatives to moving the sink were:
1, Have the boiler in our bedroom, which we didn't want because of noise. (Do they make lots of noise by the way when the radiators and hot water taps are not running?).
2, Knock down an internal wall which divides our kitchen from our dining room and put the boiler on the vacant wall space between two windows.

The bedroom option was only offered as a last resort because it is on the other side of the house to our drain, meaning having pipework on the external wall going right round the house. As an afterthought, the installer suggested that we having a soakaway built might be possible.

Thanks for the advice.
Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2008, 7:53pm

How about in the loft.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2008, 3:49pm

How about wall space.

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2008, 5:44pm

Quote:
2, Knock down an internal wall which divides our kitchen from our dining room and put the boiler on the vacant wall space between two windows.

It sounds like they are having problems finding somewhere to put the flue outlet as it has to be a min distance from windows and doors.

Part J of the building regs has a guide showing where flues can go. See the diagram on page 42 which illustrates the minimium allowed distances...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADJ_2002.pdf

One option might be a more complax flue that goes through the wall then up.

IP Logged

lovejoy
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:30am

with most boilers today a flue run of 20mtr is possable these people get very good money for these jobs, most i have seen run the pipes along skirtings etc, keep at them find out more about the boiler thay will fit and look up possable flueing for it

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndrewR
Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:19pm

The Warmfront fitters say that they install IDEAL Condensing Boilers. Now I would have preferred a solid fuel fired boiler because I had lots of trouble with a combi boiler many years ago. This kept breaking down and one repair engineer told me that they only had lifetimes of about seven years.
After looking on the internet for Ideal Condensing Boilers, I seem to have cause for worry that this boiler is likely to break down as well. Can anyone tell me whether IDEAL condensing boilers have improved in reliability recently? I am only going through with this because I am getting it for free under Warmfront, and am considering keeping my old hot water heater and saving up to have a stove and back boiler installed, using convector heaters in the meantime.
If the manager tells me that the boiler should go in my bedroom, is it likely to make a noise? With our old combi boiler, it would automatically switch on every hour until I was told how to switch that function off. Will the condensing boiler also switch on regularly without any draw of hot water, and will I be able to switch it off?
What do people think of Ideal condensing boilers?
Thanks for any help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:54pm

I haven't heard too many bad things said about Ideal boilers  Shocked

What are they saying the reason for the sink being the only possible location.

Have a browse through the links.

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=83680&tstart=45

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:14pm

I would avoid putting it in the bedroom. What happens in the winter when you want the house warm for when you get up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print