Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 12:40pm
Quote: Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Sealing" matt paint? (Read 15768 times)
Hootie19
GDPR opt-out

"Sealing" matt paint?
Jul 27th, 2008, 6:30pm

We have just finished decorating my son's bedroom and honestly, I could weep.

We have used Homebase Flawless matt paint, and before my son is even properly in the room (furniture etc still to be delivered) the paint is scuffing and is looking marked. Fingerprints showing up really really badly etc

Is there such a thing as a matt "sealer" that we can use over the matt paint to give it a bit of protection to help prevent all this marking? Or would it be possible for us to just give a coat of silk emulsion in the same colour over the top?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: "Sealing" matt paint?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2008, 7:50am

That's the trouble with matt paint, although I used some Dulux matt recently and was surprised how durable it was. However if I want a matt, or dead flat, finish that is wipeable I use Polyvine decorators varnish. Goes on with a blue tinge then dries clear. It is not quite as matt as matt paint but not far off.

http://www.polyvine.com/category/show/polyvine%20trade/varnishes/6

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Hootie19
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2008, 1:48pm

Excellent woodsmith - thank you so much.

I will give it a try. And there's a stockist just a hop, skip and a jump away from here, so that's even better  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2008, 10:56pm

Quote:
We have just finished decorating my son's bedroom and honestly, I could weep.

We have used Homebase Flawless matt paint, and before my son is

Much as I feel for your disappointment with this product, there is a lesson to be learnt here, and it is endorsed by the fact that professionals do not use Homebase products. This goes across just about every trade around the house, use proper products, they may  not be the cheapest, but they do the job. One of the reasons many people feel they can do a better 'value for money' job than pros is that a pro will quote for doing the correct amount of prep work, will use the proper materials and finish the job properly. A quick visit to any of the sheds will offer a plethora af materials that are not the best for your requirements.
A classic example: can you buy BAL or ARDEX products (tiling) from BnQ, no you can't, but you can find lots of 'advice' in there on how to do a 'professional job'.
I have been painting for decades, but have still taken in a pro painter at home on occassions (purely due to size of the job & injuries I had at the time) and been pleased to find he had the same attitudes as I, i.e. use a top qualit paint!
Some time ago I had ordered a fair amount of gear from W*ckes and had to fill up the order by about £30 or so to get free delivery, so I ordered some paint. Absolute crap it was, but I wasn't bothered as I was only going to paint the inside of my workshop with it, which still looks fine, even through the cobwebs and accumulated sawdust. I does however look terrible in my kitchen where the rest of my family kindly decided to decorate for me......thanks, but no thanks, I need to do the entire kitchen again......with a QUALITY PRODUCT. I cringe every time I enter the kitchen as to me it is an obvious embarassment, but the wife doesn't notice (luckily).
Am I ranting a bit, probably, but: do it properly with the best materials, then sit sit back and enjoy........
Right, off for another tinny.......

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Hootie19
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2008, 11:05pm

See - I thought I'd be ok with the paint, as we've recently had the walls replastered (lovely job) and thought as it was going onto a virtually perfect surface, we'd be ok.

But there you go - lesson learned. The colour was just what my son was looking for, so we opted for that.

I bought some of the polyvine stuff recommended above today. Almost had a fit on the spot - £29 for that small bottle!!!! Definitely a lesson learned. £11 worth of paint requiring £29 worth of varnish to keep it looking anything like decent  Shocked. Just hope the one bottle is enough.

So what paint would you recommend we use in future? Farrow & Ball seems to be a "hot topic" at the moment. How do you professionals rate it?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2008, 11:45pm

Quote:
See -
How do you professionals rate it?

Hmmmm, the point  I was trying to make was that it is not a good choice to use an 'unknown' brand. And I may be a professional, but 30yrs poncing around with computers doesn't neccessarily qualify me to advise technically on your choice of paint (nor does it really qualify for anything to do with computers, unless you are really interested in the old stuff Smiley but I will always be one of those guys who uses brand names, similar to the pros, and wonder why other people get problems (and I hope it stays that way).
I must happily confess, I've never had a conversation along the lines of,' that bloody DULU%, BA£, ARDE%......crap'.
But I'm a bit of an old fashioned kind of guy, I do a bit of research for a job, decide whether I can do do it, then either do it  myself (maybe with a bit of further research) or find a pro who knows what he is doing, but always, always always, the best products are going to be used.
Immediately exclude from that list of best products the shed's own brands; although occassionaly one of them may turn out to be half decent. Personally I dislike painting enough (as in I don't mind it coming round at reasonable intervals) not to want to find out.

My personal feelings about Homebase are that they will cater to anyone who has never discovered that they can buy most of their things at less that half price elsewhere, but they seem to do it in a better than warehouse environment, so good luck to them for that.

I really can't think of any good reason ever to go to Homebase,  but I have a few times............and I'm trying to think why......I'm coming up with a blank, but I'm bollocksed at the moment Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ianjk
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2008, 9:02pm

Try silk emulsion or soft sheen as these are washable, you just have to look at matt emulsion to get it dirty. matt is only good for sealing new plaster or ceilings

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print