Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:55am
Quote: History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dead legs and central heating circulators (Read 19251 times)
runninwata
GDPR opt-out

Dead legs and central heating circulators
Oct 1st, 2008, 7:06pm

Here goes!! Have installed a Grant vortex 36/46 condensing oil boiler, supplying a 4 bed house with 11 rads with a 15/60 grundfos pump, unfortunately 4 radiators which were added at an earlier date when the house was extended are not heating.

The radiators all  heat when i crack open the valve without one of the radiators in place and drag the water through to them which leads me to believe the circulator isnt fit to cope with the job,

I have tried balancing the system and shutting down the rest of the house and only bringing these rads into service but all to no avail.

My question would be is there any light commercial circulators available that would be stronger than this grundfos 15/60 pump but would still fit into the 130mm port to port dimension or will i have to go for a commercial flanged pump and re jig all the pipework

any help and advise greatfully received

Steve

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Dead legs and central heating circulators
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:40am

I would think if the 15/60 don't shift enough water then you have a system problem.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 7:52am

System problem? maybe but the system was heating ok before the boiler swap and pump swap, the old boiler was pumped using a 15/50. Shocked

I am goin to check pump resistance again as i cant understand that it all worked fine previously, only other thing i was thinking about was a blockage somewhere but that seems unlikely as when i crack open valves without rad the others in this leg heat evenly and ok confused I am!!

Is it possible to get a F Shockedcked pump straight out of the box?

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:45am

Re the balancing.. If shutting down the rest of the system totally didn't cause at least one of the four to heat up then something is wrong with those four. Air lock? sludge? Incorrect plumbing? The pump should be able to push water around.

Not wired in series are they? Perhaps just the one you removed is blocked?
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008, 8:53am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:54pm

No, I have removed each of the four rads and cracked the valves at each of the points and the others have begun to heat up as soon as rad re instated the  rads then cool, system was flushed prior to instal and has been drained and re filled twice since, initially thought airlock but have had aav installed in leg to these rads ,magnaclean installed also and is remaining pretty clean since installation just minor debris!!

I am going to double check everything is off and isolated other than these rads and will update later

cheers for the advice

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2008, 12:49pm

Hi, checked pump resistance was ok, double checked isolation of all other rads, allowed problem rads to call for heat, lifted landing floor (much to the annoyance of swmbo  Roll Eyes ) to access flow and return that supplies this side of the house flow gets hot but nothing on return side,
cracked open valve without rad on and rads begin to heat, I am goin mental!! contrary to what my trade is I AINT A PLUMBER!  Cry The installer unfortunately is out of the country on hols at the moment and can not be contacted either!!

Anybody any other ideas, if it is a bockage could this just be flushed by breaking a joint underneath and flushing each of the flows and returns at each of the four rads?

Help

Steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bill577
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2008, 9:22pm

it sounds like you have a block on the return, but before you hack into the pipework, check the pump is installed the right way round, believe me it does happen Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2008, 7:06am

cheers lol i will check this out this morning!! its gettin really cold here now and mrs isnt happy about the fact that we spent approx 4kon boiler and unvented and half the house is colder than it was with the old boiler!!

thanks

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2008, 1:13pm

Do any of the radiators heat up or is it just these 4?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2008, 7:27pm

Hi Greg,
rest of house heats up great, only these four no heat at all, they were installed as part of an extension.

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2008, 7:37pm

What happens if you shut of the valves to all of the radiators in the house except 1 of the 4?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2008, 7:50pm

Hi greg, tried shutting down all the system except these four then all these four in turn still none of them even start to heat, there is a slight warmth at the valve on the first rad in the extension but seemingly no circulation, i have had this rad off and flushed through water was clean nothing amiss,

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2008, 8:11pm

I take it that it is a 2 pipe system and that the flow and returns are connected correctly?

How high are the rads above the pump?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2008, 8:14pm

It is indeed a two pipe system and the rads would be on the same level or thereabouts as the pump

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2008, 8:16pm

flow and return connected correctly, was all operational before boiler swap and adding of 2 extra rads 700 x 300 and 700 x 600 k2s all bi directional valves

regards

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2008, 8:22pm

A 15/60 should be OK.  Are the tails to the rads getting hot?  You say you have had the floor up, can you trace the pipes back to where they connect to the rest of the system that is heating OK?  If you are getting no circulation it will most likely be an airlock, blockage or piping error ie flow and return are connected together

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2008, 8:36pm

yes had the floor up to install two aavs (initially thought airlock) on the leg just as it enters a wall to drop vertically to serve this leg with 4 rads on it,

No only one of the tails is getting hot, (the first rad in the line) the rad doesnt get hot and the other 4 rads are stone cold along with Mrs! lol

Have just managed to speak  with installer, he says he thinks the pump could be struggling! I am now doubtful and believe blockage, it worked previously with the old boiler and a 15/ 50 pump, would it do any harm upgrading the pump to a commercial type or is that money wasted.

is powerflush best way to remove blockage or could i do it by removing rads, draining system , connecting hose and mains cold water then opening valves in turn on problem rads with all other rads isolated to flush out blockage?

your help is greatly appreciated

steve

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print