Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:12am
Quote: You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Freesat choice of other views (Read 3623 times)
MarkPC
GDPR opt-out

Freesat choice of other views
Nov 18th, 2008, 1:18pm

Here's a question for satellite experts...

I bought a cheap (BUSH £50) freesat box when the olympics were on hoping to be able to see the different views that the BBC was often mentioning. For some reason when I tried this all I got was a stuttering image with no sound or no image at all.

I still haven't resolved this and even tried replacing the freesat box. It is connected to a Sky minidish that the previous house owners left.

Anyone any ideas how I fix this? A new LNB or something else?

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Freesat choice of other views
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008, 1:28pm

Are you getting any picture at all on any channels? I don't have Freesat yet but I think it is similar to a system I had years ago, far away. I guess you have done a channel scan to see if it picks up any channels? Have you checked the coax from the dish down to your Freesat box for damage and tight connections?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008, 6:10pm

I don't have a freesat box but if there is a "search for update" menu item? I'd give that a try or leave the box on overnight for a week to see if it picks up an automatic update.  

We didn't have to worry about software bugs with analogue TV.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

MarkPC
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2008, 11:20pm

Hi All,

Box is fine for regular channel viewing eg BBC1. The problem is when I try and view the other views available via the red button. I can see the other views displayed as thumbnails but when I pick one nothing happens (the unit appears to lockup) or the image is frozen or so jerky as to be unwatchable.

MarkPC

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2008, 9:10am

There is normally a function that lets you see the signal strength you are receiving, it sometimes comes up as a bar that goes from 0 to 100%. If you can find this then check that you are getting more than 50% signal. It can vary from channel to channel, so check it on a channel that you know you can get, like BBC, then try it on one of the problem channels. If it is poor then you may need to get your dish properly set up/aligned because it may be slightly off. If you are getting good signal and it is still playing up then you may have duff freesat box or it needs a firmware upgrade.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkPC
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2008, 10:01pm

Thanks for that Zambezi. Signal strength is excellent (95%). Box is the second I have had. Took the first back assuming it was faulty but the second does the same thing. Guess I've bought some duff kit.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2008, 10:17pm

There should be two indicators.  Signal strength and quality.  Quality is far more important.  We had 100% signal strength but only 50% quality and some freeview channels were useless.  Fixed by installing a decent digital cable.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print