Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 6:45pm
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible to tile a sloping ceiling? (Read 16498 times)
Isaacs
GDPR opt-out

Possible to tile a sloping ceiling?
Nov 30th, 2008, 8:57pm

Apologies for dumb question but planning out refit of bathroom and wondering if possible to tile a sloping part between the wall and ceiling?  Will the adhesive be strong enough to help the tiles defy gravity?!  We are hoping to squeeze a shower in a small space but unless can tile the sloping part doubt it is going to work.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Possible to tile a sloping ceiling?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008, 9:07pm

I think it would probably work. Why not make a test with one tile but remove it and clean up before it sets?

A waterproof board is recommended behind tiles in a shower (eg not regular plasterboard). Something like Hardi backer board or wedi board or one of the many other boards designed for the job.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008, 9:37pm

Yes you can stick tiles to angled walls. Ideally you don't want to use really think (read: heavy) tiles and a good adhesive. Like CWatters said, you need good backing because the last thing you need is a load of tiles on your head in the shower. You can also prop the tiles up with adjustable props until they set, don't do more than 1 row at a time and allow to set sufficiently before moving to the next row.

I personally would not tile an angled wall because too many things can go wrong. There are some very good products on the market that will waterproof your wall, without the need for tiling.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:27pm

yes possible, but like Zam said, not large/heavy tiles, a quality adhesive ( not a shed tile and grout) and allowing the correct time between tiling AND grouting,

carried it out a few times, mainly on loft convertions/understairs bathroom/wash rooms, mainly steer clients towards those mosaic tiles on sheets, not to heavy and the backing sheet helps adhesion to the slope, also do not try and tile too much at once!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Isaacs
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:07am

Thanks for the replies.  Reassuring to know can be done and that there are alternatives to tiles.  Will get on with planning bathroom in more detail.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2008, 5:16pm

Even if the tiles will stick to the board (which they will) you have to consider the total weight of the tiled board as this is still only fixed to the rafters with a few screws..........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print