Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 4:17pm
Quote: There are two theories to arguing with women. Trust me, neither one works.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sash window frame painting emergency (Read 4650 times)
steveofcrick
GDPR opt-out

sash window frame painting emergency
Dec 2nd, 2008, 8:55pm

right chaps,im desperate for help.ive been told that theres an inside and an outside part on the frame of a sash window.im painting the inside of the window,and i need to know where i should paint to.major worry so ploease help

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: sash window frame painting emergency
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:22pm

I am not too sure what you are trying to ask?
Are you asking where the point is that interior decorating ends and where exterior decorating starts?

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 7:06pm

Is this an up and down box sash or a casement?

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2009, 11:49am

Just slap it on any old how, the 'professionals' do it that way, which is why those of us who make and fit sash windows are called back to free up something that the paint guys have painted shut.

You're really doing this job at the wrong time of year. You SHOULD be painting whatever you can see and REGULARLY moving the sashes to stop the paint gluing them shut then, when that's dry, you reverse the sashes (top fully down, bottom fully up) and paint what you can see, again moving them to stop them sticking. All this faffing around is why the paint guys can't be assed. In cold weather you haven't really got a chance of the paint drying so you'll have to make do and just go around unsticking the sashes when it has gone off.

Depending on how old the windows are, and if they were made of oak, then the pulley stile (the bit the sashes run against at the sides) was often left unpainted, along with the running faces of the separator bead (the bit in the middle sticking out of the pulley stile).

Once painted and dry run a candle along the insides of the staff beads and the separator beads to lubricate the run of the sashes.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2009, 1:40pm

Referring to the post above, half the trouble is not the 'professionals' painting them shut but the clients closing and locking the windows before the paint has dried.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2009, 2:10pm

Hammy, no painter & decorator (and my son-in-law's one) is going to turn down a job even at this time of year. Once they've put the paint on the job's done as far as they're concerned and you can hardly expect the customer to leave windows wide open all night. I'm not saying this just to start an argument, but I've SEEN brushies paint the WHOLE of a sash window, closed, and just leave it like that. I had one hell of an argument with one bunch of guys because one was going around sanding down, another came after to prime/undercoat and the top coat was put on in an afternoon (and that was EIGHT windows, four back, four front). There were four of them, two working out and two working in. They argued with the customer that they'd done what they were contracted to do (and they did LOOK great). She paid them. Guess who went back to free them all off? They certainly weren't going to do it. And yes, my son-in-law does do it the right way, as did the brushy who painted the sashes I fitted in October.

To return to my original point... December is not a good time of year to paint sash windows. From the date of the original posting he'll know that by now.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print